Dumb question ... do I need to apply wax to the buffing wheel on my bench grinder?

On my first XS the polishing was all done with wet and dry in a bowl of hot soapy water - No dust formed. The final gloss was obtained using Autosol on a damp cloth rubbing by hand - again no dust formed. Nothing wrong with using elbow grease, just takes longer. The right side cover has more fiddly bits to work around and paint stripper is handy here to remove the original clear, but now yellowed, protective varnish. In that thread I posted above there is an excellent section on re-painting the Yamaha lettering.

For face protection, I have an old hard hat from my construction days with a flip-up full faceshield, something like this .....

W7SkiGJ.jpg

Doing just one little item, you shouldn't get too dirty, but a pile of stuff or a long time at the buffer, and you'll come away looking like a coal miner after his shift, lol.

Reading this thread I've learned a lot I didn't know. One thing I will add though is with my kit I use different wheels for different compounds . There is a specific wheel for red ,grey white etc. Also those grinders are mounted to boards so I just put the board in a vice when I want to use them'
P1010839.JPG

Yep but I can remember when I only had one buffing wheel, wasn't sure wether to put the buffing compound on the wheel or the part and just wanted to "Get some of that ol' dirt off and make it look decent".
And if I weren't so technologically impaired I'd put some smiley faces here.

Back