DYI Powder Coat Question?

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I know its been discussed here before how to powder coat, but the oven seems to be the biggest stumbling block. I'm thinking for small parts would a toaster oven get hot enough?

yeah, a toaster oven would work for really small parts. I suspend mine with safety wire while I sparay and bake it. I bet you would have a hard time fitting much inside after you try to hang it. It should work though for small stuff or if you don't need to hang it.

Go to Eastwood.com and powderbythepound.com. They have HUGE forums and are quite informative, and they post up a lot of great pictures. Lots of beginner basics as well as advanced stuff.

John

POWDER365.COM is the forum to be on right now powderbuythepound.com killed it's forum for the most part. A toaster over will work but don't go by it's thermometer get a cheap IR unit from HF or home depot. Be carefull the powder coating bug can bite ya hard. I was going to just do small stuff too. Now I have a oven,booth and semi-pro gun set up

Toaster oven works well, we use an old kitchen range on it's side, extended some, just enough to fit a frame. Temperature control is critical.

Beware parts which have lead filler....

Posted via Mobile

yeah old kitchen wall ovens are a craigslist freebee, or at least really cheapbee. If you don't see one, post a wanted ad in materials and someone will call

POWDER365.COM is the forum to be on right now powderbuythepound.com killed it's forum for the most part. A toaster over will work but don't go by it's thermometer get a cheap IR unit from HF or home depot. Be carefull the powder coating bug can bite ya hard. I was going to just do small stuff too. Now I have a oven,booth and semi-pro gun set up

Where do you live? You do parts for people?

What happened at PBTP? Thanks for the link-it's clear everyone has moved. :)

John

I live in northern va. I do parts for friends and a local hot rod shop. But I have a full time job so I don't pursue work it just comes when it comes. Also check caswells forum they have a good oven building section. I have my low buck oven build on there same screen name.

Yeah, powderbuythepounds forum isn't all that active, although there's still a ton of info on there. You can build a small oven relativity cheap, its a pretty easy process. Time is always a factor though. I used a kitchen oven and toaster ovens out in the garage for a few years before i broke down and finally built myself a 7x4x4 so i could do frames and whatever else.

Life is MUCH better now :D

51.jpg

wasnt too bad, cost me under a grand in materials, but that included running a 220 line 100' to my garage. Took about 24 manhours on and off. paid for itself in no time flat.

What did you do for a heating element? How long does it take to heat? I assume the cabinet is insulated? Very intrigued, looks sweet man

The whole thing is made from just galvanized sheet, and steel cunstruction studs. they dont make any pre-fabbed stuff for these. The elements are dual 3600 watt IIRC. Gets up to 400* a little over 20 minutes these days. Insulation is just cheap stuff (unfaced r-30)

I did a whole build thread with tons of pics, and a materials list over on the powder by the pound site... Oven build link

Back