Dying leather?

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
To all who work with leather...

I happen to have this jacket, which I could not pass up for the Yami as I got a really good deal on it. I really like it a lot, but at present, the light parts are a sort of "vintage ivory", and I was wondering if there is a practical way to darken those bits a few shades, such as maybe a very light brown. The leather isn't "polished" and seems as if it would be porous enough to accept a good dye from an applicator.

Thoughts and/or suggestions welcome! :)

TC

I went to a Tandy leather place and got a leather cleaner and leather dye. they were not cheap but man, that stuff works. The leather dye doesn't come off of skin, either so don't get it on your face (i know this)

A few shades strikes me as picky. I wouldn't bother unless I was going to dye it all black. Shoe repair shop or leather repair shop could advise.

Thanks, guys. I suppose I'd like to go to a golden brown, but not black. Even the ivory is not unattractive, and come to think of it, it may "age".

If you haven't figured out a good method yet, give Jamie at RePop MFG an email. He seems like a solid dude and does all custom leather work. He could most likely point you in a good direction.

To all who work with leather...

I happen to have this jacket, which I could not pass up for the Yami as I got a really good deal on it. I really like it a lot, but at present, the light parts are a sort of "vintage ivory", and I was wondering if there is a practical way to darken those bits a few shades, such as maybe a very light brown. The leather isn't "polished" and seems as if it would be porous enough to accept a good dye from an applicator.

Thoughts and/or suggestions welcome! :)

TC

Open face and flying googles plus the proverbial scarf flying in the wind would top it off :thumbsup: Have you thought of approaching Motor Trimmers in your area, they have lots of trick stuff for refurbishing leather back to original
cheers

rude, I don't think we have those here in the States. :(

Oh, well. You know... it occurs to me, too, that this may just be a dumb idea. :p That might be a sign... :p

TC

Back