Earthing/grounding stator brushes(or not)

XS1961

XS addict!
Reaction score
Further to my query regarding earthing of the brushes on the earlier stator when fitted to the later TCi-type wiring harness, though Ive read & re-read countless posts on this subject its still not clear to me whether after fitting the nylon brush housing screws the top(inner) brush needs to be earthed or not, if so ,then where?:shrug:

XS1961,

No, the whole purpose in using the nylon screws is to eliminate the earth to the brush. Note also that the wire that was connected to the previously earthed brush is itself grounded in the wiring harness, so you will either have to run a separate new wire from switched battery to the now isolated brush or if you want to continue to use the wiring harness and plug, then cut the wire on the frame side of the connector so you can use it to run the switched battery. All of the above is for a US bike. Not sure what you have.

You must be from my generation because there is still an "England". My dad was from Aberdeen, Scotland, not the UK.

On a late system, 80 up, the harness supplies + 12 to the bottom (outer) brush, the top (inner brush) is grounded by the voltage regulator as needed to keep the alternator stator output voltage in the proper range.

The early systems (up to 79) have an always grounded top (inner) brush and the voltage regulator supplies +12 to the bottom (outer) brush as needed to keep the alternator stator output voltage in the proper range.

Pamcopete, mines a complete 1981 TCi electrical system from an American import bike I salvaged parts from and have been running for years, that stator has given up the ghost so Im installing an earlier stator junking the TCi box & installing a Boyer too.
What you both described makes it a bit clearer for me..
Thanks

Last edited:
Pamco pete;
You must be from my generation because there is still an "England". My dad was from Aberdeen, Scotland, not the UK.
I'll always be from England the Jocks & Taffs can ***** *** :laugh:

Re-arranging/rewiring the brushes is too complicated... Turns out the late model stator was working ok (so far) so Ive chopped off the pickup and removed the TCi box , wired in the Boyer and alls well.(so far ;-) )

For sale; two working order TCi boxes & two pickup coils. ;-)

Last edited:
Back