Easiest way to get at Re/Rec on an '82'

Mark Arnold

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't charge. Bike has 12K original miles, stuck in new brushes since they were past 1/4" and the springs were bad too. Still no charge. Did the stator/rotor check and they appear ok too for continuity. Now to the Reg/Rec., what's the easiest way to get at it?

I'd start the bike to make sure you have power coming from the stator. After that pull the bat box up as much as possible and get in there with a gear wrench

If you need to get it out, I think I take the air boxes out to do that. If you want to test it by substitution just plug the new one in briefly at the plug behind the left side cover. Chances are the reg/rect is ok but the connector into it has some problem.

To get at the Rec/Reg, you remove the airboxes and the inner plastic fender. 10mm socket and extentions for your 1/4" ratchet. The reg/reg is in front of the swingarm.You won't get a straight shot at the lower bolt but if you have enough wiggle on your extention , it will get a grip on the it.

Bear with me... I'm new at this. After doing the continuity check on the stator/rotor and firing it up, still no increase in volt reading at the battery. Pulled the connector at the left rear under the cover, cleaned the spades as best I could... plugged and unplugged a couple of times for contact. Still no charge. The book then says the reg/rec. should be replaced, given the above. I'd plug in a new one but don't have one. They're solid state so I can't mess or fix the internals correct?

Back