electrial work

sethhazuga

sethhazuga
Reaction score
So I'm going to be at that great spot in the build that everyone loves, Wiring!:banghead:
I'm starting from nothing, building the harness myself. The ignition will be points, and I want everything to work because this bike will be for my Mom. My main question is, if I install only one fuse at say 40amps will the bike keep blowing it? Will I have to isolate 2 or 3 systems in order to keep from drawing to many amps on one fuse? Plus does anybody have a custom wiring schmatic for a '78. thanks

So I'm going to be at that great spot in the build that everyone loves, Wiring!:banghead:
I'm starting from nothing, building the harness myself. The ignition will be points, and I want everything to work because this bike will be for my Mom. My main question is, if I install only one fuse at say 40amps will the bike keep blowing it? Will I have to isolate 2 or 3 systems in order to keep from drawing to many amps on one fuse? Plus does anybody have a custom wiring schmatic for a '78. thanks

Wiring diagrams are in the "Tech" section at top of page. 40 amp fuse is much to large. The stock set up for my 78SE uses a 20 amp main fuse, and has 3 other fuses...............ignition, headlight and signals with each being 10 amp fuses.

If you are looking for more reliability it is smarter to separate each circuit by a fuse. For example if you have a short in your lighting circuit and wont tripped out your ignition circuit and leave you or your mom on the side of the road.

Last edited:
If you are looking for more reliability it is smarter to separate each circuit by a fuse. For example if have it short in your lighting circuit and wont tripped out your ignition circuit and leave you or your mom on the side of the road.

Good point!! thanks

Another good reason for having separate fuses for the different circuits is that it makes fault finding so much easier ;)

I like making wiring harnesses for bikes and have made many for XS650 and other bikes. One fuse will not cut it. You can make up a nice harness with two fuse setup . One fuse for charging and another for lights/horn/brakes/etc. I have done it with two 20 amp fuses. The only reason i use a seperate fuse on charging is some of the older Alt. spike and i have had fuses blow from cranking elrctric start. So you can use up to 4 fuses if you want to seperate everything but i have had good luck with just two. There are many very good diagrams on this site and it just depends what you are putting on bike. If you have any problem you could always contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and i will send you diagram and help talk you threw it.

Attachments

• wire650.jpg
    wire650.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 151
  • wiring8.jpg
    wiring8.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 166
I like making wiring harnesses for bikes and have made many for XS650 and other bikes. One fuse will not cut it. You can make up a nice harness with two fuse setup . One fuse for charging and another for lights/horn/brakes/etc. I have done it with two 20 amp fuses. The only reason i use a seperate fuse on charging is some of the older Alt. spike and i have had fuses blow from cranking elrctric start. So you can use up to 4 fuses if you want to seperate everything but i have had good luck with just two. There are many very good diagrams on this site and it just depends what you are putting on bike. If you have any problem you could always contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and i will send you diagram and help talk you threw it.

thanks!! I really appreciate the advice and schematics. I'll get ahold of you if I have any problems. thanks again

Back