Electric start battery size help

Mikeyoung1138

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Iam running a Pamco pma ultimate coil set up with capacitor, I want to run electric start what battery should I run ? Can't find much on this

In my experience, if you want the electric start you should use a minimum of 175 CCA. More is better. The ignition type is irrelevant. The starter mechanically cranks the engine over, and nothing more. Ignition is another system.

Hi Mike,
like weaselbeak sez, bigger is better.
The limit is the battery's physical size.
In practical terms, use the heavy duty version of the battery that fits in the bike's battery carrier.
My XS650 uses a car battery mounted in the sidecar.
Dunno it's CCA number but it sure starts the bike OK.

The stock XS650 battery is a 14 amp/hour 180 cca battery. It works well most of the time. The sealed batteries that fit have a bit more cca's at about 200-210.
Some of the very expensive Lithium batteries can be very small and light but have plenty of cca's. One that is about the same physical size can have much more, like 350 or more cca's.
I like those batteries until it don't work then being as these are old bikes they won't cover their warranty.
If you do get one lie to them and say it is in a new bike. that way when it blows up after 4 months they will cover it or be out $300.
Leo

Back