Electric Starter does not work

bret

'81 Special
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a little bit afraid to post this because I am a total newbie on this kind of thing and I don't understand a lot of the terminology people use on this site. I guess I need to learn though.

Anyway, my start button doesn't work on my 81 special. It doesn't make a sound or do anything. I got a new wiring system last summer and I know something was wrong with it, like a few wires didn't connect. Besides that, what else might be wrong that is preventing the start button from working? Also, my signals and speedometer/odometer lights don't work and neither does the horn.

both the horn and the starter work by grounding (completing the circuit) thru the handlebar, are your bars painted? the best thing to do is get a VOM (Volt, Ohm, meter) 10 bucks or so at radio shack or sears and we'll walk you thru the wiring

Attachments

• 81_ XS650H_SH.PNG
    81_ XS650H_SH.PNG
    119.3 KB · Views: 93
The starter didn't work on mine when I got it. Like yours, it seemed totally dead. Turned out to be nothing more than a rusty connection down on the starter motor itself. I cleaned that all up and it's worked fine ever since.

The down and dirty test is to grab a big ass screw driver and short across the two big terminals on the solenoid found under the RH side cover. Expect some big sparks when you do this. You can't be mamby pamby, you have to stick it on the terminals. If that cranks the starter it's just a control wiring/switch/solenoid issue. If it doesn't then the starter is suspect.
Down load the 81 supplement of the factory manual it details the starter circuit and tests. There is a section on the starter wiring and testing.
On the solenoid, in addition to the two big terminals, there is a red white wire which needs to have +12 volts and a blue white wire which will crank the starter when grounded.

This link is a PDF the starter circuit is page 11.
http://www.biker.net/650_service/650service%20main.html

Last edited:
Gary, I tried that test. Big sparks were certainly abundant. The starter worked fine and turned the engine over right away. Can you explain any further what specifically might be wrong with the wiring/solenoid/etc...?

The starter circuit on the 1981 is a little more complicated than some other years. However, that's why you need to use a wiring diagram, such as Jayel has supplied. If you don't have a VOM meter, you need to buy one.

Find the Starter Lockout Relay ( Starter Cutoff Relay) on the side of the bike. It should have 4 wires..............red/white, red/white, black/yellow and light blue. Select the VOM to read volts on the 20 volt scale. Connect the black negative lead of the VOM to the battery negative terminal or to a good ground (bare metal). Turn on the ignition key and the kill switch to run. Place the red + probe of the VOM on each of the red/white wire terminals on the Cutoff Relay. As soon as you check for voltage at each red/white terminal, turn the key and the kill switch off (don't leave power on to the coil/TCI).

Do you read battery+ voltage at either red/white or at both red/whites?

The starter circuit on the 1981 is a little more complicated than some other years.
(Translated from the Canadian)
"the 81 is a PITA".... clutch cutout, safety cutout, headlight cutout, neutral cutout, it has more to keep it from running than to actually run it, here it what it needs to start and run .... each of these relay have to work for the bike to work right and the alternator to kick in the safety relay :sigh:

the 82 added a sidestand relay just for more fun

Attachments

• 81_ XS650H_SH.PNG
    81_ XS650H_SH.PNG
    70.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Lets keep it simple, the solenoid needs +12 to the red white wire, then grounding the blue white wire closes the solenoid and spins the motor. So divide your search area in half again, which is missing the +12 or the ground? turn on the key, ground the blue white wire, does the starter crank? If yes, odds are high the problem is in the handlebar switch, handle bar ground circuit. there NEEDS to be a ground path from the handle bar to the frame of the bike. PO's often remove or forget to hook up the handlebar ground wire.
If it's the +12 that's missing then either sort out the relays and safety switches or provide a good ignition switched +12 from the fuse box to the red white on the solenoid, defeating all the safety interlocks at your own peril.

jayel..................I had no idea you could translate canadian so well:thumbsup: Have you spent time in the great white north by any chance?

Gary..............its hard to keep it simple. If bret wants to find the solution, I will take him through wire by wire, until we get it working.

You guys are great. I really appreciate all of the help/knowledge you are giving me. I guess the first step is to buy a VOM meter asap. I will let you all know when I have one and have performed these tests. Until then, ride safe and take it easy.

Back