Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Musk ain't stupid, speed sells ESPECIALLY high dollar, new tech items.
Build a market with the trend setters paying development costs, the more pedestrian lower cost units can come later after the research investment is amortized.
Quote JD "it isn't rocket science" wink.
Range isn't bad IF you can keep your foot out of it. Nothing to it if there isn't a "Porch" sitting in the next lane at the stop light.

That's easy; just game the EPA range tests, done.
Note; Even with the target on his back, he hasn't been sued by EPA over this, yet, he colored inside the lines.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...bes-of-autopilot-and-driving-range-estimates/

One Tesla Model 3 driver, Nick Caraciolo, told Business Insider that "300 miles of range can quickly become 100 miles of range if you're speeding or it's hot outside or too cold. It can be very deceptive and a gas-powered car can seem more accurate in that way."

Note; Even with the target on his back, he hasn't been sued by EPA over this, yet, he colored inside the lines.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...bes-of-autopilot-and-driving-range-estimates/

One Tesla Model 3 driver, Nick Caraciolo, told Business Insider that "300 miles of range can quickly become 100 miles of range if you're speeding or it's hot outside or too cold. It can be very deceptive and a gas-powered car can seem more accurate in that way."

I remember reading this article once, it was about an electric vehicle, I can’t remember for sure if it was a car or motorcycle. But it made mention that because the nature of an electric motor is to be instantly on at full power, there had to be a computerized moderation of acceleration, otherwise every time you accelerated away from a stop , it would be a tire smoking burnout! ( or a wheelie 😆 )

Our one year old Hyundai Venue gets , I think , pretty great around town gas mileage at 37 mpg, but it has a small, low revving engine with a CV transmission, most times I get up to 40-50 mph without ever going over 2,000 RPM. ( I’m sure it would probably qualify as one of the slowest cars Motor Trend ever tested, but hey I also drove a Fiat 😆 )

I read that this morning. For some reason , people who are new to electric vehicles seem to crash them at a higher rate than gas engine cars. I have no idea why 🤷‍♂️, then they said the associated repair costs were quite a bit higher. I can imagine that.
I recently had a California experience on a motorcycle. They've got EVs all all the place. I was extremely uncomfortable around them. They launch like rockets. And that's how they drive them.
1705628206289.png

...300 miles of range can quickly become 100 miles of range if you're speeding or it's hot outside or too cold.
It's been chilly here in the UK (-3°C) and my range has decreased by 36% compared to the summer range. I wonder what the difference is when temperatures are even lower than that?
...an electric motor is to be instantly on at full power
To be pedantic it is full torque.

I’ve read a couple articles in the last few days, stating that EV’s are experiencing shorter tire life due to extra vehicle weight and power delivery characteristics,
To be pedantic it is full torque. 😁
The articles I have seen are stating tires worn out in as little as 8,000 to 10,000 miles.
Any EV owners here have that experience?

I’ve read a couple articles in the last few days, stating that EV’s are experiencing shorter tire life due to extra vehicle weight and power delivery characteristics,

The articles I have seen are stating tires worn out in as little as 8,000 to 10,000 miles.
They shed rubber into the air like motorcycles. Google it. Tire tech is going to have to catch up.

Just a guess on my part, but...

Electric hot rods make a gazillion horsepower. In the quest to get 0 to 60 in under a second ;), that HP needs to hook up with the tarmac. That means a very soft composition tire. Soft, sticky tires wear at a horrendous rate. That's why car races typically have multiple tire changes in a single race.... soft rubber that grips and wears quickly.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Last edited:
EV Tires will be fine if you drive sanely and buy tires for wear not traction.

Put gas in the Prius Prime for the first time today 1460 miles 8.46 gallons. 1460/8.46= 172MPG Tank size is 10.6 Gal.
So guessing 50MPG was actual gas mileage, 1000 miles of the 1460 were electric/ battery powered.
Rough #s $23 for gas, $40 for electricity.
The electric percentage would be higher but the other car has done more of the round town short trip duty.

With a Kilowatt recorder now in place, will be able to get a "full picture" next time I gas up, April?
I left this car in the garage the last month or so. Long term (160K miles) average on the "regular Prius is about 38MPG.

Just a guess on my part, but...

Electric hot rods make a gazillion horsepower. In the quest to get 0 to 60 in under a second ;), that HP needs to hook up with the tarmac. That means a very soft composition tire. Soft, sticky tires wear at a horrendous rate. That's why car races typically have multiple tire changes in a single race.... soft rubber that grips and wears quickly.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
The issue is that the tire pollution article I read was probably agenda driven. Or was it? It seems too much work to get truth anymore, though I assume it’s always been that way.

The issue is that the tire pollution article I read was probably agenda driven. Or was it? It seems too much work to get truth anymore, though I assume it’s always been that way.

The amount of "tire dust" in the air near a busy roadway is quite significant and has been determined to be a non-trivial health hazard.

....and the reason that EVs launch like rockets is two-fold:
  • electric motors produce full torque at 0 rpm. No internal combustion engine has a torque curve that flat.
  • a lot of these early EV models have been designed to accelerate hard so that nobody can say they're dogs on the road.
The fact is that while some people care a lot about the environment, almost everyone wants a car that is fun to drive - and slow cars simply...aren't so to get someone to pay what EVs cost, they have to be fun to drive.

the reason that EVs launch like rockets is
Is Elon Musk.
cuz he understood "developing a market".
You don't build cheap little grocery getters, then move the concept upscale.
You design build high end luxury EV's for the trend setters. Let them pay for the development and infrastructure then broaden the market with lower cost due to mass production, standardization and innovation.
PS winterize your charging stations.................. ;^)
Oddly (LOL) Ford and GM, too busy fighting for subsidies missed this marketing 101 lesson.

Back