Electrical Drain

gps2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've finished wiring up my XS and everything tested/worked ok. Then I knocked the bike over and it looks like I've knocked something loose because all of a sudden nothing works.

With my multimeter, I touch the positive terminal of the battery and ground to the motor and get a reading of approximately 6V. The battery is a fully charged at 12.5V. I think this means that there's another load in series with the circuit I'm creating with the multimeter? Something improperly grounded or connected to another load?

Looking to interpret the low voltage to determine a good method to solve this problem but need some guidance from you fellas who know more about it than me! Any help is appreciated.

Posted via Mobile

You read 6 to gnd but do you read 12 from terminal to terminal? If so, then probably the ground is loose on the frame. If 6v terminal to terminal then there's a high resistance short to ground somewhere, so check everything in that case. You'd know the short is before the switch, if it's like that with the switch off.

Just checked again. It's 13.0V from terminal to terminal.

Positive terminal to various points on the bike yields anywhere from 6V to 11.5V. My ground wire is pretty light, could that be the issue? I'll try a heavier one anyway.

Posted via Mobile

No, it's not that it's too light in this case. Measure from terminal to terminal, then terminal to ground wire connector, and then terminal to connection to the frame, then to frame. Find the point where it drops. The way you describe it it can't be anything but a loose connection to the frame.

Remove the ground wire and start tugging on it, it will probably disintegrate.

Start at the battery positive and trace the wires untill you find the loss of power. Then fix it.

Back