Electrical Help please with Loom

Paul75

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey chaps

Hoping for a little help please. I have a '78 XS650F, when I got the bike I sold the loom as it was really tatty and part burnt out. I ordered a new loom form Yambits UK which I thought would fit but many of the connections are different. I've been back onto Yambits and they have since credited and let me keep it as its not correct - they do not do a different loom.

Looking for help here if possible please, I'd like to know what loom I have and also if I can in-fact keep it and use it. Straight away looking at the front of the loom there does not appear to be ends for the ignition see below:

IMG_20170429_1706151.jpg

Secondly Where does this go to:

IMG_20170429_1707138.jpg

I also have these items, which ones can I throw in the bin and not use?

IMG_20170429_1707547.jpg

Am I really screwed with this loom OR will I be OK with a little thought and work? Fingers crossed someone can reassure me!!!

Thanks guys....

Attachments

• IMG_20170429_1707138.jpg
    IMG_20170429_1707138.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 75
Just a suggestion - Can you lay the harness out on the floor and photograph it. Perhaps one showing the whole harness and others closer up showing the branches in the harness. Then people will be able to help identify the wiring e.g. somewhere at the back will be a single red battery wire which goes to the front to power the ignition switch (probably via a fuse box branch in the harness midway). You will then be able to trace it to the ignition switch connector and identify the wiring from the ignition to the lights and ignition system probably back through the fuse box. You will need a continuity tester/multimeter on ohms scale and label every wire as you go. Will be a boring job but you will then know the ID of every wire and this will be valuable in the future. Start with the basics then branch out to the auxilary systems.

If you are luck then someone may have a wiring diagram for that Yambits harness. It may have come from a US supplier like Mikes XS.

Oy! The second pic looks like the connector for the RLU.....which is the gray rectangular thingy, upper left, in the parts heading for the bin. The part to the right in the bin prospects pic is your starter solenoid, has the round section to it, two wires........might want to keep that.

I just binned two RLU's this morning......
Link the blue/black to the blue/yellow in the loom, no real need for the Reserve Lighting Unit, other opinions may vary......

Last edited:
In the first pic, connector to the left, pale blue, brown, green/white wires.....might be for your instrument lights/cluster.

Thinking the green/white wire might be for the speedometer reed switch......kicks the turn signals off after a measured length of travel. I bin mine....lol. I'll turn the blinkers off when I'm good and ready.

Best to check any of these educated guesses against a schematic, two heads are better than one, even if ones a cabbage head......

Last edited:
nj1639 Entry 6 above, first line, sounds right. Pink/white is probably equivalent to the red/white ignition wire and the others seem exact matches to the XS harness. But based on these initial ideas an ohmmeter should prove if they stand up.

Wow you guys are amazing.....so appreciate the help!! Tomorrow I'm gonna head back in the garage and using the help you have very kindly given me will start to label it all up....I'm sure to have more questions so you have been warned!!!

An "F" model would be a '79. A '78 would be an "E". The next question would be is yours a U.K. model or a U.S. import? Special and Standard harnesses differed as did '78 and '79 ones, at least in the U.S. anyway. The headlight on-off switch on the handlebar was eliminated on the '79 U.S. model. I'm not sure if the U.K. model retained it or not.

Ignition switch connections changed over the years. Some had a small plug along with a couple separate bullet connector wires. Some had pretty much all bullet connector wires. I'm sure you can adapt your harness, it just may take some connector changes. You may need/want to study several different wiring diagrams. I would be looking at '77D, '78 and '79 Standard and Special diagrams.

I checked out the model identification chart (Mine is 2FO-25***2) and it flags up as a 78/79.. on the headstock decal it reads as 12/78 so must me a '78 I guess? The bike also flags up as a USA Model (I bought it as a US Import Barn Find) - so no surprises there. What the chart doesn't tell me is if it's a special or a standard. I've always believed it to be special, what do you think? My main goal is ultimately to find out which loom I have from Yambits!

IMG_20161124_1741029.jpg
IMG_20161209_1624110.jpg

Last edited:
Generally the model year follows the manufacture year. In your case the manufacture is very late at Dec 78 so it should be the 79 model. View the following Youtube video and the 79s come up at approximately 2:45:
It looks like yours could be the SF II?????

You may want to look at the following current thread "SE Special rear light". Retiredgentleman Entry 5 has recently added a comment regarding the presence or absence of a headlight ON/OFF switch for identifying models and this may be the clue for your bike.

Thank you RTG.

I would be looking at '77D, '78 and '79 Standard and Special diagrams.

I have the Yamaha Service Manual E~H ('78-'81) but the loom I have definitely not any of those models. I think your idea of looking at a 77D is a good one, I'm going to check that out now.

In the meantime here's another photo from the battery area.... any ideas where these are supposed to head to?

IMG_20170430_1100591.jpg

Near certain the bike's a 79 SPII, has the wheels that were ONLY on that model. Other bits I see agree with SPII
Looks like a "won't fit" type wiring harness :wtf: using non-standard wire colors? :umm: . May be more trouble than it's worth.
The 3 wire T connector on the left MIGHT be a coil connector for a TCI bike 80 up. But the harness does not jump up and shout XS650 from what I have seen so far.

As gggGary says, might be for a TCI (but with extra earth wire added). Does this harness have the rectifier connector with 3 white wires, or they may have used 3 of another colour, perhaps yellow. If not then maybe worth considering gggGary's other point as to whether or not it is worth while pursuing.

Back