electrical switches help!!

rich_mcd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody can help me with wiring micro switches for the bars? Looking at the manual and looking at the new switches doesn't make any god damn sense!

The kill switch is a center off toggle, 3 poles on the back of it. The manual shows the engine stop is brown and red/white. So would I put brown on the far pole, and red/white on the other far pole?

I have 2 momentary switches, one for the horn and one for the electric start. They have 2 poles on each of them. The start switch says blue/white and ground. So how do I hook up the momentary switch to it?

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 102
A kill switch is a centre ON toggle. It only needs 2 terminals. I'd say you have the wrong type for a kill switch. Red/white and brown on either terminals.

The blue/white and the ground can go on either terminals. The ground usually comes from the handlebar. The problem is that handlebars are rubber mounted and therefore need to have a ground supplied. Some years had a ground supplied to the bolts that mount the bars. Other years had a ground wire run from the headlight bucket (common ground wire) to the bars via the Turn switch. With a custom switch, you will have to run a ground wire from the headlight bucket common ground wire.

thanks for the reply. It looks like I need to get a different switch for the kill switch. If I was using the center off toggle for the turn signal, would I take all the wires controlling the right side turn signal and connect them to one side of the switch, and all the wires controlling the left signal to the opposite pole and ground the middle?

How are you going to mount these switches? I was looking to do this same thing but I haven't figured out how I or what I am going to mount them to.

Just to clarify, I believe I have the ground running through my bars via the turn signal. If i have the switch off the bike, it won't start, if i touch it to the bars it will. So would I be able to run a common ground for each switch and ground it to the bar somewhere, or should I run it into the bucket ground wire?

Also, the momentary switches are 'normally closed' is that what i want for this set up?

I was thinking about mounting them directly to the bars too but wasn't sure if there was enough room in the bar for the box part of the switches. Where did you buy the switches?

I got mine at the source which is your radio shack. I am pretty sure that I got the wrong momentary switch and toggle. I am going back right not to try to figure this all out.

I think the part numbers are:
toggle for turn signal - 275-636
starter/horn - 275-1556
high beam - 275-634 (I don't know if this one is what I want, I might try it for my kill switch though.)

If you figure out any wiring....feel free to pass it on this way, cause I am just guessing, lol.

I got mine at the source which is your radio shack. I am pretty sure that I got the wrong momentary switch and toggle. I am going back right not to try to figure this all out.

I think the part numbers are:
toggle for turn signal - 275-636
starter/horn - 275-1556
high beam - 275-634 (I don't know if this one is what I want, I might try it for my kill switch though.)

If you figure out any wiring....feel free to pass it on this way, cause I am just guessing, lol.

Thanks for that info. I am hoping to make it to radio shack tonight or this week to pickup some switches. I will only a kill switch, high/low beam, and a horn.

I think that for your headlight you want to use a SPDT type of switch. I will be getting part number 275-635 from radio shack for that and then use 275-634 for my kill and then 275-1556 for my horn.

For the headlight switch you should have a green wire going to one poll, a yellow going to another pole, and a red/yellow wire going to the third pole on the 275-635 switch. There should be a separate ground for the headlight itself.

The kill switch should have two red/white wires connected to the two poles on the 275-634 switch. One of the wires is coming from the ignition box and the other going to a 10A fuse on the fuse box. The horn should have one pink wire to a pole and then a black ground wire to the other. Or I should say this is how I will be wiring mine.

So, just an update. I got the ignition switch working on a 1.5A 125VAC momentary push button, also the horn button working with the same switch. Used the 275-634 6A 125VAC

275-634 for the kill switch.
275-1556 for the horn and ignition.

The kill and horn are like you said. The start is blue/white to one pole of switch and ground on other pole.

I will try for the headlight tomorrow and the blinker...trying to interpret this damn manual. Any hints for the blinkers?

I think that you will need a on-off-on switch for the blinkers in which you will have a chocolate colored wire go to one poll and then have a Dark green wire going to the other. The switch 275-325 is what I think you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Are you keeping the reserve lighting or the safety relay or just bypassing them?

So, should the brown/white that is off the flasher relay go into the middle pole and the Dg to a far pole and a dark brown to another pole.

For the headlight, while keeping the reserve lighting/safety relay would I just splice Y, L/Y, G, L/G to one pole to control the high beam. Then L/Y, G, L/G and Y/B together on the other pole for the low beam?

Back