Electrical system changes

xswisconsin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post. I have finally decided to work on my xs650. I am going to be doing a cafe build. I haven't driven it in a while but from what I can remember it was easy to start. Is it worth it to redo the ignition and charging system or keep the old system. Second question: What are some of your ideas to hide the electrical system (I want a clean look). I have read posts about placing the battery under the seat, will this work with a legendary cafe seat or just with homemade seat.

I am very impressed with this forum, thanks in advance for your help.

Nate

Ignition upgrades may or may not be useful, depending on what year your bike is.

A working TCI is fine, an older points system, not so much.

JMHO, YMMV.

I agree with Downeaster. The TCI is a very good ignition. So, if it gives good spark, just keep using it.

Same thing for the stock charging system. If it works, stay with it. A properly working charging system should give you 14.1 volts (measure at the battery) when the engine revs up to 3000 rpm. Replace the brushes if they are less than 3/8" long. Clean the slip rings with some fine emery paper once a year.

The best thing for the electrics, is to take apart each connector (yes there are a lot), and clean then up so they are bright and shiny. Use a little dielectric grease on connectors to keep dirt and corrosion out.

Don't be surprised, if other posters recommend you buy a PMA (non stock alternator). Just be aware, if you replace the stock alternator with a PMA, you will lose the use of the TCI. Then you will have to spend more money to buy another ignition system.

Thanks,

I think I will try to stick to stock, but just hide it better, seems things were just put all over the bike for no apparent reason. I am thinking of making an electronics pan to sit under the seat, housing all that I can fit in there.

Yes, you can used LEDs, but there are things you need to do to make the blinkers work. Read the posts about LEDs in the tech section.

If you have the stock tail light, those two # 1157 bulbs are real wattage hogs. I only had one #1157 bulb in my tail light, and I replaced it with an LED................makes the electrical system work better.

Amazing difference.....should have done it years ago. Just swapped my stocker bulb out for the led brake/runner and when I hit the brake there's almost zero draw displayed on my mounted voltmeter. A bit pricey for a lightbulb at around 8 bucks a pop......

Amazing difference.....should have done it years ago. Just swapped my stocker bulb out for the led brake/runner and when I hit the brake there's almost zero draw displayed on my mounted voltmeter. A bit pricey for a lightbulb at around 8 bucks a pop......

For sure nj, the LED's draw almost no power, compared to the old incadescents. Make sure you do a visual check from behind, so that you're confident that the LED is bright enough for safety.

Using a smaller battery makes it easier to hide. I got a Ballistic 8 cell battery. Is is about half the size of the stock battery, weighs about 1.7 lbs and cranks the e start just fine.
Leo

Back