Electrical

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone answer or confirm my questions/thoughts below:

I'm building a brat for my wife, 1980 S model, retaining the starter, using LED rear signals/tail and probably regular front turn sigs. Switches will include key, Kill switch, hi/low, signal, horn, start

Electrical components:
6- Relay assembly (starter I think), I can skip this is wife is smart enough not to hold the starter button too long right?

13- Flasher relay - will this work with LED (will they only blink fast...that's ok with me)

22. -Flasher canceller unit...how does this work? Do you need to use the stock flasher handlebar control? Will it work with LED? I can skip this right?

23- Light checker (Headlight correct?) I can skip this as well right?

24- Reserve Lighting unit - I can chuck this correct?

So if i'm understanding things correctly I can basically get away with only using the following:
-Starter Solonoid/Relay (forgoing the starter safety relay)
-Flasher relay (#13)
-Electronic Ignition module
-Chrysler Reg/rec setup
-Stock charging setup (less reg/rec
-Coil
-Battery

Is this correct? Thanks.

The safety relay serves two functions on your bike I believe, prevents starter from engaging after motor starts and keeps the headlight off until the bike starts. You can ditch it just cap off the yellow wire comming from the stator.

Stock flasher relay won't work with LED's. You need a two prong flasher made for LED's. Connect to brown and brown/white wires. Third wire not needed.

Canceler won't work with the led's and two prong flasher. The third wire on the stock flasher is for the canceler. It works on a time/distance thing. Scrap that for sure..dangerous.

Light checker..scrap

RLU...scrap

Sounds like you have a plan. Lot's of good basic wiring diagrams on the site. I rewired my whole bike with the basics...one of the best things I did for the bike.

I'll definitely be keeping the starter relay (aka sylanoid) but I think I'll ditch the starter safety relay (that thing is huge).

So will I need two seperate flasher relays? one for normal front and one for LED rear? Hmmmm maybe I'll go LED front as well.

If I used LED at all 4 corners and taillight would I need more than one LED flasher relay or is one sufficient?

Only one flasher needed but it has to be for LED's if that's what you are going to use. Stock flasher has to have stock size(wattage) bulbs to work correctly. Led flasher would work for stock bulbs but stock flasher won't work for LED"s.

New discovery. I just picked up one of these digital guard dog relays & fobs from JP cycle on clerance http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ93016 ($99). Its for a victory but I can wire it in to replace the starter solanoid/relay and then I'll have a key-less bike that will only start when I'm within 10feet of it.

Now I just gotta figure out how to turn on the rest of the stuff (I'm thinking running everything through the start/stop switch.

On the plus side this saves me even more space, so does the LED flasher unit. Now I don't need the bulky stock flasher, starter solanoid, or key.

The gaurd dog relay won't hold up to the current draw of the starter. You can with a bit of creative wiring use it to kill the ignition. You will still need a master switch to turn the power off/on.
Leo

Yeah...they gave me the wrong info but are going to give me a different unit (the universal M1 that has its own prewired socket. I will have to keep the starter solenoid but I can get rid of the key.

Basically all I need for my electrical under the seat area just on top of the swingarm is:
-Solenoid
-LED flasher unit
-Radio shack Rectifyer x2
-Chrysler regulator
-Starter button
-Elec ignition
-Battery (tiny shorai battery)

On off button will be on the bars.

Yeah...they gave me the wrong info but are going to give me a different unit (the universal M1 that has its own prewired socket. I will have to keep the starter solenoid but I can get rid of the key.

Basically all I need for my electrical under the seat area just on top of the swingarm is:
-Solenoid
-LED flasher unit
-Chrysler regulator
-Starter button
-Elec ignition

On off button will be on the bars.

Did you ever get this sorted out? I'm doing the same thing right now on an 82 cafe. Basically same setup. Wondering if you needed to jump some wires to remove some of the old relay's? or did your stuff work by merely removing them from the harness?

Haven't built it yet. The M1 is still on backorder. (Tsunami delays). Should be shipped next week. Then I'll make a quick mock up of the wiring to test the bike before tare down to paint.

my setup
-Solenoid
-LED flasher unit
-Chrysler regulator
-Starter button
-Elec ignition

On off button will be on the bars. No key for the system...just the key fob.

I'm planning on making a keyless ignition that works on a reed switch mounted in a hidden location. Wave a magnet over it and it'll turn the bike on. Press a button to turn it off.

Here's a quick sketch of the circuit. Uses one dpdt relay for the self-energizing circuit.

Possible addition will be that the bike shuts itself off if left with ignition on and engine not running for 10 minutes =)

hidden switch on circuit.PNG

Hah! maybe I'll make some and send them out as xmas presents to good (and very bad) little xs650.com boys and girls.

Once it works well you should sell them through Lowbrow or somewhere like that. Its a really cool idea. Better than spending $99 like I did.

Back