Electronic ignition, coils, condenser, wiring???

Quinn

S-Tracker/74frame/79motor
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a few questions regarding wiring a 79 XS650 (building a street tracker, electric start, front and rear lights).

I thought I bought a 79 motor, but when we went to wire it we discovered that it had no points. From my understanding electronic ignition started in 1980. So I either have a newer motor or someone upgraded the igniting system prior to my owning it? (see photo)
Also I bought two coils that we now believe will only work on a points system. (see second photo)
That being said can, someone please point me in the direction of a simple wiring solution and the correct coil and condenser to use?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_5371.jpg
    IMG_5371.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_5372.jpg
    IMG_5372.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 184
Yes, but the picture does show the TCI pickup.
Yes pamcopete, your right. When I opened the cover to where the points would be there was nothing so I didn’t bother to take a photo. The first photo was to show the pickup coil which I don’t think is used for points motors?

Yes, it appears you have an '80 or later motor, or at least the ignition set-up from one. Now normally, I would say run with that if you had all the components and it worked but ..... I'll bet you didn't get the black box, the actual ignition unit, with the motor. They can be expensive not to mention hard to find. So, your options are 1. Replace old stuff with a complete Pamco kit. 2. Track down the missing electronic ignition components (coil, black box). 3. Switch back to a points set-up.

What you have now won't work. The coils are probably 5 ohm primary resistance which is too high for the stock electronic ignition. Also, as mentioned, you're probably missing the black box. Condensers aren't used with the electronic ignition. You only need them with points. You're kind of in the middle here. You have parts of both ignition types but not everything needed for either.

Thanks 5twins! I looked through the parts box and was able to find the original coil so I guess I'm half way there. Now just need to find a working CDI (black box) do you know if they are all the same (80-83)?

YES 6 WIRE AND THE 8 WIRE BLACK BOX'S CAN BE USED JUST HAVE TO FIND THE CORECT WIRES TO MATCH UP HAD TO DO IT ON MY 80 BOBBER GOT ONE OFF E-BAY
NEEDED A 6 WIRE THEY SENT ME A 8 WIRE(THEY SAID IT WAS A SIX AND WOULD NOT
REFUND THE CASH.) CAN'T REMIMBER WHAT WIRE WENT WHERE BUT I COULD PULL IT A PART TO FIND OUT IF NEEDED.:bike:

YES 6 WIRE AND THE 8 WIRE BLACK BOX'S CAN BE USED JUST HAVE TO FIND THE CORECT WIRES TO MATCH UP HAD TO DO IT ON MY 80 BOBBER GOT ONE OFF E-BAY
NEEDED A 6 WIRE THEY SENT ME A 8 WIRE(THEY SAID IT WAS A SIX AND WOULD NOT
REFUND THE CASH.) CAN'T REMIMBER WHAT WIRE WENT WHERE BUT I COULD PULL IT A PART TO FIND OUT IF NEEDED.:bike:

Thanks DirtyDog, I just bought an 81 from a member this morning - not sure if its a 6 or 8 wire. If it's an 8 I may need your help.

Update: I got the electronic ignition (black box) and now the bike is running, however now I’m having charging issues.
I’ve read through a few posts, and think I have the problem narrowed down…

I put a voltage meter on the two bolts/wires holding the brushes; when the bike is running I should see a current right? If so what should I be looking for?
BTW: I pulled the brushes and they looked like new.

Side note/question: when doing the “slap test” are you supposed to have the bike running or just the ignition switch on?

Thanks for your help.

Save yourself the headaches and go with the Pamco+PMA. It will set you back a bunch of cake, but it will save your sanity. I had a ton of problems with the stock system. I had the PMA+Pamco running in 10 minutes and it's ran perfect ever since.

Save yourself the headaches and go with the Pamco+PMA. It will set you back a bunch of cake, but it will save your sanity. I had a ton of problems with the stock system. I had the PMA+Pamco running in 10 minutes and it's ran perfect ever since.

I'm thinking that you might be right - it does look a lot simpilar. I think im ok on PMA but there are so many pamco options I'm not sure which one I need? The motor was supposed to be a 79, but I have a tci pickup and no points so maybe somewhere in this bikes history a motor was swapped to an 80 or newer? Anyway, specifics on parts would be greatly appreciated.

For my 81 I purchased Part #14-0912. You will need at least the advancer rod, advancer Unit and misc parts and the pamco unit.

Back