Electronic ignition options?

gman,

Here is a little chart to help you decide:

mikesXS kits.jpg

You have the advance rod and mechanical advancer so you can use either 14-0901 or 14-0911. The difference is the coil.

If your mechanical advancer is in bad shape, then you can use the E-Advancer in its place. That would be either 14-0905 or 14-0910 with the coil being the difference again.

Here is the same information sorted:

mikesXS kits2.jpg

Note: The prices shown may not be the latest.

Last edited:
I have used at least 10 of each
You have a couple different styles of PAMCO to get for your bike and Boyer has been around for over 20 years with also a good unit . Both are close to the same in price Pete can be contacted by email or on here and Boyer has a Tech hot line by phone.
Both very good units

Google Probe Engineering. You'll be best off with Probe or PAMCO with e-advance. I used Boyer for many years but got fed up with the flimsy timing plate that tends to warp inward. You get the first hint of that grief in the form of a high rpm breakup. You'll only find the cause when you finally remove the timing plate, look at the back, and notice the damaged solder pads that have been in contact with the trigger magnet. The only cure that I found for that crap was to gut a bad timing plate and epoxy it over a new one to make something robust enough to hold up. I now use Probe, which is a superior system in every way.

I'm in Philippines and don't have a lot of options when things go wrong. I run pamco and had a dud ignition connection and fried the green card a couple of years ago. thought shit that's it while I wait for a replacement. Emailed Pete and he talked me through it, explained how it worked and I was able to repair it and get running again. Now that is first class service in my book and not available from many places these days. I will always recommend Pamco.

I had a probe ignition for a brief stint. Nice unit. You could advance and retard idle timing slightly with buttons on the little box. I would buy one again. Also had a rev limiter.

Never used one but heard of them. $399.00 a little high and what's the little connection that looks like it holds a little battery? cool looking.

what would be the best pamco option for my 77?
running battery, and stock engine. and will keep it like that too.

There's no little battery in the Probe box, DaddyG; there's a built-in connector for the wiring harness, and that may be what you're looking at. The Probe also has a red LED that flashes when the unit fires, so you can set idle timing statically before you fire up for the final dial in with a strobe. In the latest model the rev limiter is adjustable. The timing plate is very sturdy and sits fully supported in the bottom of the camshaft cover. The trigger rotor is really neat: the magnets are mounted on a collet that fits inside the camshaft. When you crank down on an allen screw, the collet expands and locks the rotor in place.

grizld1,

Apparently a 9 Volt battery is / was used when setting the static timing on the Probe and there is / was a typical 9 Volt battery connector for that purpose. Could be from an earlier model.

Yeah, I see that now in the most recent pics; it's something new, the 9V connector didn't come in earlier kits and there's no mention of it in earlier instructions.

Yep that's what I was looking at. Nice piece never used one and I have been using Boyer since the 80's and never had a plate warp. I have a buddy who has a BSA and its been in there since maybe 1982 and the bike still now starts on two kicks. Next time I go to his house I am going to pull plate to look. He had a mag on it but almost broke his ankle a couple times on the kick back HAHA. Thanks Pete for the answer ....

Hi Jim,
presumably you mean "other than the stock '80 & newer electronic stuff that'll bolt straight on"?

Not on a '75. You need to swap the stator and rotor and ideally the Voltage regulator / rectifier as well as some creative cutting and splicing of the wiring harness.

Not on a '75. You need to swap the stator and rotor and ideally the Voltage regulator / rectifier as well as some creative cutting and splicing of the wiring harness.

Hi pete,
well yeah.
It all swaps OK, I know because I done it.
And if you ain't able to cut, splice and generally tinker with things you got the wrong bike, eh?

Last edited:
have you peeked inside the points cover to see what's inside?
You need to do that first to see what your bike is using now.
After you look inside report back with what is in there.
Then we will know what Pamco you will need.

Gentlemanjim there are allso Powerdynamo Wich is similar to the Probe grizld1 mentions. In both my engines I have Powerdynamo one is as a pure PMA with the Pamco and the other is a 100% Powerdynamo setup with no cam triggered ignition. It Allso has the advance/retard adjusters as mentioned earlier. it's a nice setup and can be recommended.

Back