Electronics blew when I tried to start

Godric

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm at work and looks like I'll have to push it the mile home, I recently rewired it and have ridden it about 200 miles with little issues, but when I kicked it over on break it "popped" and started rolling out white smoke from the ground wire from the battery. I tried bypassing the switch and still no lights or anything, it's totally dead. Melted ground and my solders popped all over the place from inside the shrink wrap. I think I fried the reg/rec, thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20230619_231536869.jpg
    IMG_20230619_231536869.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230619_231611467.jpg
    IMG_20230619_231611467.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 48
Sorry to hear that. It appears something caused a dead short to ground ahead of the main fuse. Could be the rectifier lead or the battery positive lead before it gets to the fuse. Not knowing how your bike was wired or the location of the components, I can't offer more......

Unfortunately, it's not a good idea to try and operate the bike until the problem is identified and all the damaged wiring replaced

Sorry to hear that. It appears something caused a dead short to ground ahead of the main fuse. Could be the rectifier lead or the battery positive lead before it gets to the fuse. Not knowing how your bike was wired or the location of the components, I can't offer more......
I used this simplified one but ran it through a central fuse box like the other one. I appreciate the fast reply @jpdevol

Attachments

• 1981simplifiedwiring.jpg
    1981simplifiedwiring.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 30
  • spax.jpg
    spax.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 30
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Can you just disconnect the Rec/Reg and ride home on battery power? Finding the short circuit can take time, you need to check every inch of wiring. Because the insulation melted this will help you, where the melting stops is where the short is located.

Side Note: With the PMA system it is recommended to fit a 15A fuse on the Rec/Reg power output. This extra fuse prevents excessive current from the battery being dumped back through and damaging the stator windings should a diode fail in the Rectifier.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Can you just disconnect the Rec/Reg and ride home on battery power? Finding the short circuit can take time, you need to check every inch of wiring. Because the insulation melted this will help you, where the melting stops is where the short is located.

Side Note: With the PMA system it is recommended to fit a 15A fuse on the Rec/Reg power output. This extra fuse prevents excessive current from the battery being dumped back through and damaging the stator windings should a diode fail in the Rectifier.
That's a thought; I made it home and I'm gonna dig in tomorrow, you guys have been very helpful thanks

Back