eliminating the front disc and need help

xschop

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered a sportster front end but meanwhile I would like to eliminate my front disc and caliper to clean up my handler bars...I have a 72xs and I realized that for some reason my disc seems to be a part of the spacer for the rim? Can I remove the disc and fab a spacer in it's place to run no front brake? Or is it even possible? Any major issues I might run into? Appreciate the help and I'm a newly and any help would he appreciated ....:)

I'm not a fan of losing the front brake...and likely you'll get a LOT of negative feedback for doing it... but it's your ride/life...do what you want. :)

I would like to eliminate my front disc and caliper to clean up my handler bars...

I think you mean the master cylinder...as that's the only thing on your handlebars. You could modify it to a remote reservoir and cable pulled brake which would look cleaner.

I have a 72xs and I realized that for some reason my disc seems to be a part of the spacer for the rim

Not sure what you mean here...I'm not familiar with a 72, perhaps its a different design than later bikes, but it should just be 6 bolts holding it to the rim...and likely nothing to do with spacing the rim?

Any major issues I might run into?

Walls, cars, pedestrians... etc. LOL... (Sorry, couldn't help myself).

Good luck!

Lmao at brass neck and yeah I'm sure a lot of people won't agree with this...and YeAh I wanna completely remove my disc my caliper and master cylinder and just have a clean front rim/tire..and it is 6 bolts holding it to the rim but if I remove the disc there's a big space where the disc used to be and I read online that on earlier years the disc also served as the wheel spacer on the axle...and I'm we'll aware of the risk I'm getting into..it's wouldn't be my first bike I've ever had without a front brake ;)

72 is the first year for the disk it's a weird and complicated set up. the disk is not bolted to the wheel, it rides on it's own set of bearings and spacers on the axle. then has a couple of tangs that engage slots in the hub through rubber spacers. It will be a project designing a spacer to remove it and still keep the fork tubes at the proper spacing when the axle is tightened.
I'm not going to say you can't but I think it's stupid to ride a motorcycle with no front brake. I have done it, but not for long.

Here's a thread showing some of what you would need to do if you actually have a 72 front end.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25416

another thread with a lot of 72 front brake info.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31433

Here's a pic of the different axles used. I think only the 72 axle will work with the 72 fork lowers, There will be some real gottchas with ID's and ODs of the spacer, Ah I remember now, the axle diameter changes about 1/2 way INSIDE the disk carrier assembly. Hope you have a good friend with a metal lathe.

View attachment 57150

Thanks everybody this is all actually very helpful and actually answered my questions with the assistance of the links you guys gave me and I actually do have a buddy with a lathe that's why I was hoping I can just hoping to add a spacer in there..but I'm glad I read about that dust boot..would've never even considered that thanks you've been of some assistance :)

Back