EMGO cafe fairing

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I bought an EMGO Viper cafe fairing (this one to be specific) to put on my '79, knowing it would require some modification and fabrication to mount.

Received it today, and two things are immediately apparent:

1. I'm going to have to do some "body work" on the fairing to get it to fit around various controls. That raises two questions:

A) What is it made of? ABS Plastic would be my first guess, but I'm not sure. This poses question

B) What's the best way to cut it?​

2. It's pretty obvious that the stock turn signals are not going to be an option, and I've been contemplating some LED units anyway. So, that also raises a couple questions:

A) What units would anyone suggest?

B) Can I get an LED rated flasher unit that will plug into the standard harness?​

Input greatly appreciated.

1 A. It's ABS plastic.

1 B. I didn't have to cut mine to fit my '77D.

The "Sport" fairing as seen on my profile pic is exactly the same, this is the original one before the "Viper" moniker. I didn't have to modify the fairing at all, just bent the mounting brackets for fit. I did relocate the stock front turn signals by drilling the headlight ears and used chromed bolts in the remaining headlight attachment. The fairing is removed now so I no longer need the drilled headlight ears. I have them for sale here if you want to keep your stockers intact:

208_zpsf41617de.jpg

Headlight Ears for 35mm tubes, drilled for turn signal relocation, all rubber bushings included.
$15.00 + shipping Reduced to $10.00

PayPal payment and US shiping ONLY!

There is a bit of rust and are squeezed some but not noticeable when signals are mounted should clean up with Metal Restore. The fairing was on there for about twenty years. Let me know if your interested would total $22.35 USPS Med Flatrate.

Interesting.

Did the headlight opening fit more-or-less flush around the headlight? Just holding things up to look it over, it looks like I'd have to shave the "wings" that extend back past the handlebars to clear the controls. Also, I think the apron that extends across the front under the windshield will need to be notched a bit so I can see my voltmeter. I mounted the meter between and just ahead of the tach/speedo cans.

Good idea on moving the stock signals back on the ears.

Appreciate the offer, but I already have a spare set of ears that I can use.

Interesting.

Did the headlight opening fit more-or-less flush around the headlight? Just holding things up to look it over, it looks like I'd have to shave the "wings" that extend back past the handlebars to clear the controls. Also, I think the apron that extends across the front under the windshield will need to be notched a bit so I can see my voltmeter. I mounted the meter between and just ahead of the tach/speedo cans.

Good idea on moving the stock signals back on the ears.

Appreciate the offer, but I already have a spare set of ears that I can use.

Now, if I recall correctly I mounted it a bit foward of contact with the headlight bezel and wrapped and glued a piece of foam around the outside of the bezel. Looked quite good, I don't have a voltmeter on mine; currently use my GPS as a digital speedo and eliminated all the gauges and lamps.

Last edited:
A pin router bit for a dremel works good for cutting on ABS. Watch the feed pressure to avoid melting rather than cutting.

fairing2.jpg

fairing1.jpg

Mounted it this morning. Not as fussy as I feared, went pretty well. Did have to relieve it around the volt meter as expected, and had to notch the "wing" over the front master cylinder a bit. Also upgraded the supplied hardware a bit.

I used a rotary rasp in a die grinder to remove the plastic, worked well. Used a little lower than normal air pressure to keep the speed down.

Went for a short blast, fairing is pretty steady and makes a noticeable difference in riding comfort at highway speeds.

Overall, I'm a happy guy.

As usual for this place, lots of good advice. Thanks!

Looks good to me! I like the Brit style exhaust too! Next is the clubman bars, bumstop seat and rearsets-- ooops I get carried away. I forget I'm not 16 anymore.:doh:

How about a set of polished aluminum handlebar clamps from a Virago? Big dress-up bang for low bucks - :bike:

Attachments

• Virago clamps_1.jpg
    Virago clamps_1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 395
Back