Emgo Cocktail Shakers / Niche Cycles / The Jerk Store

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I wanted to post this to the forum because I have read numerous recommendations that members purchase from Niche Cycles. My experience was unsatisfactory. I would stay away - not necessarily because the product description was incorrect, but because their customer service is garbage.

I bought some universal Cocktail Shaker mufflers from Niche Cycles on eBay. Their listing stated that the mufflers have a "removable baffle with fiberglass packing." In another portion of the listing, they state "baffle type: glass pack." What I received was nothing of the sort. The baffle is indeed removable, but it does not have any fiberglass packing. Furthermore, if any fiberglass were to be wrapped around the baffle, it would be impossible to put back into the muffler because the OD of the baffle is the same as the ID of the end of the muffler. Also, wrapping the baffle would choke the engine as there would only be a 1/4" hole through which exhaust could exit.

This is not a glasspack muffler. See attached pics.

A bit annoying, considering it took about 10 days for them to arrive in the first place, but oh well, back to the drawing board. These are not going to sound as I want them to as-is, and I would prefer to start with a different design if I'm going to make modifications, so I figured I'd just return these to Niche and go with my second option.

WRONG.

Niche cycles is refusing to accept my return without charging me a 20% restocking fee. Why? They say:

"I have sent a message to the manager about there being no glass wrapped around the baffle but the baffle is a glass pack and will run fine when wrapped in exhaust packing."

"It is a glass pack, no doubt about it. If you want to return it there is a 20% restocking fee and you are going to pay the return shipping for we do not send shipping labels."

Quite fucking rude, and quite fucking wrong.

Cheers,
Adam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 697
Ebay is going to be on your side.
If you paid with paypal so will they.
Does not matter what niche cycles think.
I do think there is something like a $5.50 shipping label charge
Just send attach pix when requesting return

Hi Oak,
2 x SKU80-8410 @ $67.70 each?
I just opened the Niche Motors site.
Perhaps they just updated the site but the on-line catalog sez "removable baffle"
It DON'T say "glasspack" not nowhere.
Just like it sez on the carton in your photo.
So what you ordered seems to be what you got, eh?
And yeah, my son had a pair of the SKU80-8411/8412 upswepts on his XS750. Loud with the baffles in place. Really loud without them. Nice chrome, though.

Last edited:
They must have updated it since my complaint. Here's a screenshot of the description I see, on the item I won:

cFqMT.png

I wouldn't make things up. My OP quoted the auction.

That baffle looks like nothing I've seen in those in days long gone bye. Seems that Emgo did a design change, that Niche doesn't know about...

Yah, I was surprised, it's a pretty janky baffle. I was thinking it would be the same baffle design that they use on their 12" shorties, which is a straight through, perforated core glass pack.

I've only ordered jets from them. Genuine Mikuni jets, and that's what I've got all 4 times I've ordered from them. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary. Take it to EBay and you'll get it resolved.

I have been going back and forth for about 5 days with them before I posted to the forum. I wanted to give them a fair chance to make things right before airing my grievances. About an hour ago I got another (what I would consider) defensive response about how these mufflers can be packed with glass, blah blah blah, all their customers do it, I'm the fool. I responded with a link to a pic of how that would be impossible. Maybe I got another service rep, maybe they really didn't understand, but I got this as a response:

Thanks for sending me the picture, it really helped me understand what you were trying to say. I did not realize that it was that tight. All the other bells we sell are not that tight. I have showed the manager the pic and he changed the listing specs and description. Once it is returned I will refund. The boss is willing to offer partial refund if you decide to keep them and will make it worth your while.

Looks like I'm going to get my money back, but I'm still a bit peeved about the general tone coming from their customer service rep previous to that message.

Cheers,
Adam

Back