EMGO Shorty Mufflers

B Burdine97

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with these muffles? They are the emgo shorty mufflers part #: 80-03310
Im looking for something with a good loud sound but not as loud as straight pipes. They do have baffles in them. Also does anyone else have other recommendations for muffles with a nice loud sound?

Attachments

• emgo shorty.jpg
    emgo shorty.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 197
I've had a set of those before, there pretty throaty but not to loud. Make sure the baffles are tight, I didn't check mine after installing and lost then pretty quick.

I have a set of EMGO mufflers on my 75. They are not overly loud, you can hear them up to highway speeds but at around 55 the wind noise covers them up. I don't recall the part number but mine look kinda like base ball bats. The baffles can't come out.
They weigh much less than stock, that I like.
Leo

Awesome thanks for the feedback boys! I think I'm gonna pick me up a set. Just a little nervous about having to rejet the carbs. I have a 81 special with bs34 carbs. I understand everyone has to reject carbs differently due to conditions, but it sounds like I might be able to go just one up on the mains and or the pilot and be good if im only changing the exaust. (Stock airboxes)

Do you guys remember how much rejetting had to be done to get it to run right? Just trying to get a ball park idea.

I have a similar set on a KZ400 twin with turnouts, solid mounting and I really like the throaty low pitched sound. Good clamps make a big difference.

Scott

Good go know mr.twowheel! That's exactly what I'm looking for is a nice throaty sound. Thanks for the advice on having good clamps. Any recommendations?

I have an 81 and used to have the same bs34 carbs. I had those mufflers, uni pods and found one up on the pilots and two up on the mains to be the sweet spot. I live in Illinois to give you a reference.

If your gonna switch out the mufflers and rejet I'd recommend throwing down an extra $30 and get some uni pods.

Clamps, not sure, I know I tried different styles until I found stainless clamps at a small shop that were heavy duty, that was pre-internet. With your stock airbox, may not need any carburetor changes.

Scott

If your gonna switch out the mufflers and rejet I'd recommend throwing down an extra $30 and get some uni pods.
Funny you say that figure8 I was actually considering getting some pods. Mainly because if Im already going to mess with the jets might as well just put pods on. I just am a little worried about changing too many things on the bike and not being able to get it tuned perfect. I can easily change the main and pilot jets I just get worried if I need to mess with the needle and or the air jet. Also I am not a professional tuner, I can physically do the work on the carbs just dont know how well I will know if the bike is tuned right. Can be kind of finiky I hear to get it just right.

Clamps, not sure, I know I tried different styles until I found stainless clamps at a small shop that were heavy duty, that was pre-internet. With your stock airbox, may not need any carburetor changes.

Scott
Good to know, was hoping I wouldnt need to mess with the carbs too much.

I hear what your saying, but truthfully these carbs are pretty easy to work with. Check out the carb guide in the tech section. Not saying you won't have to, but I didn't have to adjust the needle. The air mixture screws will take some adjusting to get them right, but you can take a screwdriver with you and adjust it as your riding around. Just keep checking your plugs, they'll tell you when your dialed in.

Yeah Im just a little nervous but I think its time to quit being a wimp and give her a shot. Worst case scenario I put everything back to stock right. Haha. Thanks for the help figure 8. By the way Im in MN close to Minneapolis, we are both in the midwest region, be interesting to see how close my carb adjustments will be to yours.

Back