Emulsion tube Oring BS38s

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I dropped the tubes but haven't changed the o-ring yet. Am I going to wish I didn't if I remove the ring? They were snug in the bore yet, but I am learning not to let sleeping dogs lie during carb overhauls. Theoretically I have some of the correct size o-rings.

If they're all flattened out and no longer look like o-rings any more, I replace them even if the needle jets fit snug in the carb body. If the o-rings you have are 1mm thick by 4mm I.D. then they are the proper size. Lube the jet and o-ring up with some WD40 or something before trying to insert it into the carb body.

If you're working with '77 or older needle jets, you'll find the o-ring groove down low very close to the collar that rests against the carb body. The jet with a new o-ring may not want to push into the body. That's OK, just set it in place and screw the bowl on. The bowl will push and hold the jet in place and the o-ring will eventually work it's way into the carb body.

5Twins you were right, I had the 1x4 o-rings (thanks to you) and with some silicone on them the tubes went right back in, the old o-rings were flat and stiff they broke apart when I went to remove them. It was also nice to have the tubes out to clean all the little holes. One throttle shaft out, polished and back in with new McMaster Carr seals. About ready to do the second shaft.

Back