Eng./ Carb help before I pull out my greasy locks....

Greasy_Shawn

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying its been faaaaarrrr too long since I was active on here and it's good to see this forum still kickin. In the past few months I grabbed up another xs (79 special) and have been using it as my commuter. When I purchased it, the airboxes were MIA, so before running it the carbs were removed, thoroughly cleaned, and had a rebuild kit installed. I also made sure to go through and do a lot of other maintence before I took er out. It seemed to be running pretty well up until the last few days...I noticed in the lower gears, the throttle response has become slow and there is some putting and popping as it revs up. The other issue I'm having is that after engaging the clutch in higher gears, the motor will unwind and eventually shut itself off. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this issue and I would be extremely appreciative if you guys could chime in, as I'm nearing the end of my rope hahaha. One day it seems to run like a striped ass ape with no issues, and the next I find myself trying to get it fired up again at a traffic light before it turns green (or before some genius in a car leaves me a grease stain on the pavement!) Thanks!!

-Greasy_Shawn

What are you running for air cleaners and exhaust pipes. Any mods to the ignition? Pics and a full discription helps us readers to help you.

Yep. That's why they have to be adjusted in a certain order. If your exhaust valve is not closing, as an example, then you loose compression, thus no power.

I'm runnign UNI filters and stock pipes with no ignition mods. Thanks for the input. Its quite possible that I didn't adjust the valves properly....

Well, I use that as an example. There is a system to set everything at a base before troubleshooting. It might not be the valves, but you need to cancel systems out before moving on. Otherwise you'll be chasing your tail. You could spend all day fiddling with the carbs and find out it's a valve, or find out it's the timing. Or the compression is bad. Carbs synced? Mix screw setting? See what I mean?
In the tech section there is the "Maintenance and general trouble shooting", it's good to read.
Deduction is the best way to fix these. Jumping around from this to that will not work.
I say all this as a friend and to ease your scalp from the loss of hair.

Just a quick update..... Read through everything I could get my grubby paws on and waited for the misses to go to bed to spend some quality time with the black hearted bitch in the garage... Started with the cam chain, valves, timing, and carbs. I had it out somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 or 3 this morning before trusting it to make my daily commute. It seems to be running well for the time being. The only thing I have noticed is an increased valve tick, as I set the intake gap a bit larger than the factory spec after reading here that some of you have done the same. Should I be concerned about this or let it ride? Thanks again for the input!

You did rotate the engine to the correct valve right? TDC for the side you are adjusting is a must. You can't get it TDC then adjust all 4 valves.
I will also add that I set a valve then rotate the engine back to TDC for that specific side and re-check. It's usually off a bit. It's a pain, but when you set it, then go around and it's already off, it's not correct. The gauge should go and the next size up should not.

Yeah, I adjusted, rotated, rechecked, re-adjusted etc.... I read on another thread you posted on with a similar issue and took the advice you provided. I have the intake set at .003 and exhaust at.006

I have mine set at 0.0024"(0.06mm) intake / 0.006"(0.15mm) exhaust, which is stock. You can use the old "screw driver against the ear and valve cover" trick if you can't tell which valve it is. If the tappets are old they become quite dippled, thus making them hard to adjust or a false adjustment and working unevenly. The 0.003 might be too large a gap too. I'd just recheck it again to make sure. If it's correct you might just be "over" hearing them.

I spend a lot of time adjusting shit on my bike. I'm extremely anal about it and really take my time. Unfortunately this is more of a pain 'cuz then I relly listen for things. I start hearing things or feeling things that aren't there. I trust my gauges though.

Back