Engaged at all time?

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I put my left engine cover on today before i was going to start it, and my luck on this build has not been good. I got the cover on and now the clutch is engaged at all time, any ideas? I have the two ball bearing one on the worm gear and the other well on the inside, and the small pushrod :confused:

Anytime you have the left cover off or replace any parts in the clutch you need to at least check the adjustment of the clutch and cable.
To adjust Page 11 of the Haynes book. Page 24 in the Clymer book. pics on page 26.
Leo

well thats the thing, i tried adjusting it to give it as much slack but its still engaged, even when my worm gear is as far out as it can go, now this engine has been sitting for awhile, could the clutch plates or something be stuck since its been sitting? Suppose they need to break free?

Yes, that is possible. Put it up on the center stand in gear and hold the clutch lever pulled, a bungie cord works forb this. Now turn the rear wheel. Back and forth. It may take a few tries.
You do the same but with the bike on the ground and push it back and forth.
You can also pull the right side cover and take the clutch apart.
Leo

You can also pull the clutch in and kick it. That will free stuck plates sometimes. It's the quickest and easiest method if it works.

so i tried putting the cover on and kicking it, i took the cover off and it looks as if i may have bent the outer pushrod a little bit on it, but its still engaged also

Florida State ! Florida State ! Florida State ! Woooooooooooooooo

Hows your elbow???

"doing the chop".....

sorry.

You will get it. Good luck.

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the same problem. I took the clutch apart and the plates are not stuck. It still will not roll with the clutch lever squeezed. I adjusted the worm gear too.

Did you have the clutch apart? If so, when it was areassembled, were the dots lined up?

Back