engine cases

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
There have been bike engines over the years that have earned a good reputation of being bullet proof and still are seen on the street some 40 years after their introduction. One of these is of course the XS, KZ 900 and also the Honda SOHC 750. Check out Cycle X website sometime and see what they are doing to these old Honda 750 still today. I begin to wonder then why no one has reproduced the engine cases for these popular Japanese engines. There are more than a few companies such as S&S, STD, Delkron, and Ultima that produce engine and tranny cases for Panheads, Shovelheads and Evo's.
jefft

Last edited:
$$$$$$$$$$$$

Why build new when used can still be found for comparatively cheap?

With integrated transmissions the Jap motors are MUCH more complex to manufacture.

The Japanese "classic" crowd has a different set of metrics than the Harley crowd when it comes to money. And if you want more power just go grab a newer bike You can find good used complete titled ZX14's for $5-6000 Trust me you don't need any more power than that. S&S engines start at 6K and head on up from there

I have "looked at" knuckle head reproductions.

Well said Gary
I been doing this a long time and a lot of the older motors were just built better and simple easy design. Take the GS1150 motor cases now are worth more than the bike was sold for new. All your Pro Mod Pro Stock bikes have to run STOCK!!!! cases to Race yet the Harleys and the Buells are aftermarket cases. S&S got into this big time years ago and there motors have held up good on the street. The problem with a XS motor was it was a cheap bike that ran forever and people ran them into the ground and then trashed same for the KZ and CB but now all you young guys found the LOVE that all us OLD HEADS had for these bikes and got smart to find and make better parts for them. You don't want to change a good thing just tweek it a little. I go to sales with a buddy and see cars and bikes that I owned in the past that go for 20 times the amount of what I bought them for and its mostly young guys buying them which is so cool.

I might have known. Everything always comes back to the money. I always wanted one of those CB 750's. I might just find one to buy one of these days. Those things are getting quite expensive and have become quite popular with the cafe crowd.
jefft

Back