Engine Cleanup

Gouda666

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This site is the best!!
I am new to the site and have been scouring it for loads of answers, I got the bike running well now but after sitting for 12+ years the engine on my 78xs650 is looking very drab.
My question is there a good way to polish up the engine without taking the heads off, I will have the engine out and on the bench while the frame gets welded but since it runs so well I don't want to mess with the engine setup/gaskets.
My thoughts were to use my dremel and drill with polishing disks and alot of blue magic metal polish, i tested the metal polish on the side case and i got it up to a mirror shine but the fins will require the little dremel attachments for sure.
Looking for suggestions
Thanks
Johnny:)

If you just want to get the gunk out I used simply green and a nylon bristle brush for the really gunked on stuff.

These work well.
p3wheel.jpg

http://www.dicoproducts.com/nyalox.html#3

A little paint thinner helps too.
Find some 1/4" thick foam sheet and wrap a U of sandpaper on it, gets top and bottom of a fin space at the same time.

I guess i should use a better word than "polish", i want to polish the side cases (easy) but it was getting the gunk out of the fins i was concerned with, thanks for the suggestions, I just have to get the 12+ years of crap off it.
Make it look as good as it sounds!!

I guess i should use a better word than "polish", i want to polish the side cases (easy) but it was getting the gunk out of the fins i was concerned with, thanks for the suggestions, I just have to get the 12+ years of crap off it.
Make it look as good as it sounds!!

This stuff works great, but it will screw up anything that's polished.

650motor001.jpg

My newly rebuilt engine and most of my other bits & pcs. took shelter in Dad's garage for a few years. Locally we have Grey Squirrels that semi hibernate when it is real cold out. A troop of them set up house in that garage alongside my MC stuff. Everything got covered with Squirrel Crap. When it's dry it sets up like epoxy then requires about the same effort to remove from a surface as PJ1 exhaust header paint. I had to use a wire brush and formula 409 to get 'er clean again. Now she is ready for paint and I am ready for suggestions on what to use.

Hi Spockwerks,
got a compressor and a paint gun and a good organics/particulate breathing mask?
2-part automotive paint would be my choice.
Your Dad's garage needs a tarp and a resident barn cat.

I got the cure for THAT problem, A weimaraner, he LOVES cats especially that delicate little crunching noise they make when he eats them.

Back