engine dies w/ headlight on

Do you have a good ground on the regulator body? If you have it mounted on the battery box that is not a good ground because it's rubber mounted. Run a ground directly to frame or battery from regulator body. If you have no magnetism at the rotor that is most likely the problem and you need to figure out why. One brush should have 12V with system on and the other brush gets grounded through the regulator I believe, but the regulator has to have a good ground.

Reg is grounded directly to frame. Pulled the alt lastnite.
had the motorman check it here at work the 3 whites are not getting any resistance.
So he's sending it off to get fixed should have it back in a few days.
I hope that's it!

The three white wires don't have much resistance. .9 ohms. With the yellow wire unhooked. From any of the wires to ground should read infinity.
The rotor should have 5 ohms from slip ring to slip ring, the brass rings.
From either of the slip rings to ground you should get an infinity reading.

got the alt.back from the motorman. It had a partial ground. he fixed it cleaned the crap out of it.
Still not charging.
did more trouble shooting. finally when I hooked up a ground to the Voltage reg. on the brush connection I get volts. crazy high volts!
So does that mean the reg is bad? I just replaced it. Its new.?!

What regulator are you using? Stock Or Chrysler? The Chrysler I use can be fried by mixing up the green and brown wires.

Got it!
Both brush wires were grounding out. Replaced
The chrysler volt reg replaced then wouldn't ground. I put a ground to the metal gaurd thing. And I get 12.6 to 14.3 volts!!!
Thanks everyone for the input. Now time to finally ride the damn thing

Got it!
Both brush wires were grounding out. Replaced
The chrysler volt reg replaced then wouldn't ground. I put a ground to the metal gaurd thing. And I get 12.6 to 14.3 volts!!!
Thanks everyone for the input. Now time to finally ride the damn thing

- the earthed brushes belong to electrical systems with separate regulators and rectifiers-i think the cut off was around 79...the later systems with integrated rec-reg were earthed through the regulator and the brushes were powered from a 10A source through the ign switch
- look at this diagram, by swapping the various boxes you can see the differences
xs650allyears.jpg

Thank you so much for the post. It's really informative!

Back