engine dies???"

jmink427

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Was gonna ride the bike this morning... Fired it up and let run a while, all was good till I turned the headlight on.. Engine just died... Won't fire up with the headlight on but when it's off it runs fine..... brake lights all function fine.. Anybody had this issue before.. I'm sure I'll find a shorted wire or something . Just trying to get a heads up....

jm... that sounds like a dead short. You may or may not recall that, some time ago, my bike would blow the fuse, and I found that it appeared to be associated with steering movement. As it turns out, the grommets that were supposed to be in my headlight bucket where the harness went through were missing. Once I installed some, I could not replicate the problem.

Your issue - similar net result, just a different circumstance - seems to be related to your light wiring or switching. I'd begin by looking for an exposed wire or a compromised connection, if it were me. Hope this helps a little... I hate electrics.

TC

Mine started doin this on Monday, I checked the charging system and sure enough, it wasn't working, my regulator tested bad. Now I am trying to track down parts to do the pma swap, if yours isn't charging I would suggest you do the same, I've never done it but I've heard it's great. I would start there but could just be a short too.

I just read ur post again, didn't notice that it runs fine with the headlight off, after it dies, that probably is a short, might still check the charging system though cuz mine fired up a few times after turning the headlight off until the battery got to low

I just read ur post again, didn't notice that it runs fine with the headlight off, after it dies, that probably is a short, might still check the charging system though cuz mine fired up a few times after turning the headlight off until the battery got to low

Yup... I was just gonna say that the headlight seems to be the precipitating factor in jm's case.

Incidentally, are you guys running voltmeters? Can't recommend that strongly enough.

TC

Well i got home and started to check things out... got my wiring schematic started studying it and low and be hold I found the problem.. Turns out the operator is a DUMB ASS ..... lol. I wasn't thinking. I haven't rode it in a while.. I have been riding our 4 wheeler though..... And you turn the head lights on with the key switch by going one more position forward... I was doing this on the XS this morning.... Guess what??? it don't work that way you have to turn the switch on the right handle bar on... DUH! lol..... what is the furthest key position for is it just a lamp test?? well there you have it... I man enough to admit it... :doh:

Back