engine model

fatmanxs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guys, found my engine serial # today. 4n9......... apparently an 81 xs-h special ii. does anyone have any info on this motor? my bike is a 72 title and i have bs 34 carbs and front and rear drum brakes i think i have a bike buffet goin on here.

Find a lot of bike reference info HERE. 81H had an electronic ignition and the best way to check that out is look under the cam covers to see what type of ignition you have.

72XS2 had a front disk brake, if yours has a drum then it could be from an XS1 or XS1B and they had different forks than the 72XS2. Sounds like a real bitsa.

Post some pics and we will help identify what you have.

Just looked in your album. I was imagining a normal bike and saw your chopper.

When it comes to a chopped bike there is no reference because those bikes can, (and invariably do), have so many parts from so many models they have no meaning as to what model/year/parts the bike is. The registration/title is merely to satisfy bureaucrats

gotcha. my main objective is for parts. already have pamco and rebuilt carbs but haven't done any motor work yet and that day will eventually come.

Basicly there is no difference in the engines from 74 and later. The 2 main changes was the factory electronic ignition, (instead of points 74-79), in 1980 til the end of production and mid way through 1977 the gearbox shaft profile was changed.

full

thanks for that info. thinking about the big bore kit from mikes xs. want to update as many parts as possible on this relic while they are still available.

Back