engine noise after rebuild

Michael xs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats up guys. Finally got done with my top end rebuild and not sure if the noise coming out the top is normal or not. Could it be the cam lobs (it seems I can hear them when i do a prime kick )? Here are a list of the new parts I installed and a video of the noise.

New:
-cam bearings
-cam chain
-front guide
-rear tensioner arm
-tappet adjuster screws
- also lapped the valves

Whats up guys. Finally got done with my top end rebuild and not sure if the noise coming out the top is normal or not. Could it be the cam lobs (it seems I can hear them when i do a prime kick )? Here are a list of the new parts I installed and a video of the noise.

New:
-cam bearings
-cam chain
-front guide
-rear tensioner arm
-tappet adjuster screws
- also lapped the valves

I swear you must have snuck in my garage and video`d my engine.
Exact same noise .Hear on dry rotation.
Metalic ringing, tinging at idle.
I`ve checked valve lash 3 times.

Love to hear what you find
I`ve got the elephant foot aduster screws to try next.

Whats up WNC. It turns out it really was just my valve lash, I was setting them wrong all along.... I was setting the lash once I saw my exhaust valves open and close instead of setting them untill I saw the inlet valve open and close ( I guess that's kind of important ) Everyone here was giving me the answer to my problem this whole time and I was just executing wrong. All you can hear now are my new cam bearings spinning. Here is a video of how the bike is sounding now. Thank you everyone for the help !

Whats up WNC. It turns out it really was just my valve lash, I was setting them wrong all along.... I was setting the lash once I saw my exhaust valves open and close instead of setting them untill I saw the inlet valve open and close ( I guess that's kind of important ) Everyone here was giving me the answer to my problem this whole time and I was just executing wrong. All you can hear now are my new cam bearings spinning. Here is a video of how the bike is sounding now. Thank you everyone for the help !

So what was your final adjustment specs?
inlet.05 mm and exhaust .15mm?
Or did you change it
thanks a bunch That`ll be todays project

I have a 1975 XS650B so my clearances were inlet 0.05mm / exhaust 0.10mm

But depending on your model bike it maybe different. Here are all the different specs.
(All measurements taken with cold engine)

XS1, XS2 TX650 :
Inlet valve 0.15mm / exhaust 0.30mm

TX650A, XS650B :
Inlet 0.05mm / 0.10mm

XS650C:
Inlet 0.05mm / Exhaust 0.15mm

Just make sure you see the exhaust open and close and then the Inlet valve open and close... slowly turn rotor until you reach Top Dead Center and then check clearance. Once you adjust one side rotate the rotor 360 degrees, find TDC again and measure clearances. Good luck man !

Trying not to hi-jack your post but you`ve got the closets problem as mine.
I`ve gappedthe intakes at .003 in. and exhaust at .006in.
My engine is rephased so the opposite cylinder is found by viewing valves and piston position.
Other situation is I`m using an earlier cam and head ( rocker box)
Engine is 77
Here are some videos ( I hope) of dry rotation have a look

I have a 1975 XS650B so my clearances were inlet 0.05mm / exhaust 0.10mm

But depending on your model bike it maybe different. Here are all the different specs.
(All measurements taken with cold engine)

XS1, XS2 TX650 :

TX650A, XS650B :
Inlet 0.05mm / 0.10mm

XS650C:
Inlet 0.05mm / Exhaust 0.15mm
Just make sure you see the exhaust open and close and then the Inlet valve open and close... slowly turn rotor until you reach Top Dead Center and then check clearance. Once you adjust one side rotate the rotor 360 degrees, find TDC again and measure clearances. Good luck man !

The cam in my 77 case is reportedly from a 72.
would this change valve lash specs to match the cam
and what would they be for a 72?
XS2 I assume?
XS1, XS2 TX650 :
Just to complicate matters .15mm converts to .006in. my intakes are at.003in
.30mm converts to .012in. my exhausts are at .006in.
Thats twice the gap correct?
Should I try these larger gaps what could happen?

Sorry for the lame questions

Last edited:
Taken from Mikes xs tech page :
16.Q. What valve tappet clearance do I use?
A. All Models 1974-84: Inlet: 0.003 inches (0.075mm.) Exhaust: 0.006 inches (0.15mm.)

A. All Models 1970-73: Inlet: 0.006 inches (0.15mm.) Exhaust: 0.012 inches (0.30mm.)
Note: Set valve clearance with cylinder being worked on at top dead center on compression stroke

I not sure... the specs I gave earlier were straight from my manual. I'm also not too sure if having an earlier cam would change specs. I'm sorry I can't be much help here but I'm sure someone here knows. Start up a new thread and someone should start to give you some answers. Sorry again brother, I'm also very new to motorcycles and am learning as I go.
Not sure where your from but I have a friend up in northern California that knows a heck of a lot about these bikes and also sells parts for very reasonable prices. The guy has helped me out a lot. Here is his website if your interested http://offxs650.com/

Good luck man

Back