Engine rebuild tips (Not so common)

Just finished installing a new cam chain on my '71 re-build. Used a spacer on two of the dowel bolts and tightened them with the acorn nuts just enough to pop the chain ends on the cam for riveting with the bearings installed. Worked better than trying to pry it on.

Thanks Trex...You revived this thread two days too late.

Tomorrow I will take it apart AGAIN to put in that oil baffle.

Tomorrow I will perfect the technique of removing the camshaft without breaking the chain so I can put the baffle in it's stupid hole.

XStretchified

The cam,and cam chain trick was the best bit of info I got. Years ago when I did my first one, I cut that chain only to find out later that there are 4 different style master links for it?? It's been 10 or 12 years since I did that but that is how I remember it.

I just did the spacer trick to install my cam under my new can chain after a top end rebuild. I cut some 1 1/2" dowels 1 5/8" long and drilled a 1/2" hole thru each one. I used the new Mikes brass washers between the nuts and spacers. It worked so good I did it twice. The head will fit on backwards! Stupid beer.

When removing and putting back the oil delivery pipe, use 2 x 22mm spanners so you don't;
1) twist the pipe and crack it.
2) overtighten the joining nut and strip the thread in the block. (I just learnt this the hard way)

Back