Engine rebuild-where does this dowel pin go?

timtonik

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Tore the engine down to the crank case. i flipped the crank case to see if a foreign piece would fall out... the only thing that came put was a dowel pin... there are 2 Identical dowels located in The pictures Attached. Plus the one that fell out... now im trying to figure out where it goes.. any help much appreciated! 20160824_201100.jpg 20160824_201134.jpg 20160824_201122.jpg

There are dowel pins in between the cylinder and head and head and rocker top also.

There are dowel pins in between the cylinder and head and head and rocker top also.
Ok, i had it torn down to the case when i flipped it over.. thinking it may have come out of the crank case where the cam chain comes up next to the pistons? I really dont want to split the case itself unless i have to..

My guess is it came from one of the ones I mentioned above.. you should take the sump filter out and check it anyways (they tend to get holes in them) that should let anything else you may have dropped fall out.

The sump filters out and getting replaced. The cylinders, heads and rocker were on a seperate table when i flipped the crank case. Not sure how they would have been attached to the case and if so, where? Are there any in the case that could have fallen out?

The sump filters out and getting replaced. The cylinders, heads and rocker were on a seperate table when i flipped the crank case. Not sure how they would have been attached to the case and if so, where? Are there any in the case that could have fallen out?
No ,, nothing in the cases.... it is easy for them to drop out when you pull the rocker top and head and miss. Did you look for the ones I told you about. 2 between the rocker top and head 2 between the head and cylinder and the 2 you have on top off your cases.

Back