engine stand dimensions

I am an electrician and we still use imperial for measurements all the time. Conduit in the code book has finally switched but I don't know it in metric.

I don't know your weight at all in kilos though....always pounds. mpg...i understand that....but not vice versa.

Same thing here. Still kind of use both.

Posted via Mobile

We still measure horses by "hands".

KYX670.jpg

Are Volts, Watts, Amps & Ohms metric?

I can't tell my weight in kg or lbs - I am 12 stone ! We also had hundredweight measures abbreviated to cwt !

How deep is a fathom? I can't work that one out !

How long is a light year in metric? I had heavy year in 2012!

Before the Farthing coin we had Groats, come to think we still have only they sit in Government now!

I use Kg for my weight, after a spell in hospital, where they use only Kg so kind of got more used to it: i do know that 1 Kg is 2.2 pounds but is it 14 pounds to a Stone?
Is it 12 fluid Ounces to a pint, or 14...or 16?
We have 8 pints to a gallon, USA for some reason have 6 pints (I think!) to a gallon.

Hence why Metric is best, goes in nice round tens, hundreds and thousands...:laugh:

And you've got to be alert around shifty precious metal dealers. They'll buy from you in "Official Troy oz", then try to sell it back to you in Avoirdupois...

Then there's my air rifle pellets, and gunpowder, bullets etc....weighed in Grains
Its no wonder a worldwide (minus USA) standardised system took over...
One area where we Brits haven't changed yet is motoring, we still measure speed in MPH, and fuel consumption in MPG, thats a 8 pint gallon of course, bigger than yours :laugh:
I think we will be forced to change to kilometres soon, to fit in with the rest of our European Union :mad:
not a clue how fast say 130 kilometres per hour is, or how to work out MPG in Litres per 100 Kilometre....

Then there's my air rifle pellets, and gunpowder, bullets etc....weighed in Grains
Its no wonder a worldwide (minus USA) standardised system took over...
One area where we Brits haven't changed yet is motoring, we still measure speed in MPH, and fuel consumption in MPG, thats a 8 pint gallon of course, bigger than yours :laugh:
I think we will be forced to change to kilometres soon, to fit in with the rest of our European Union :mad:
not a clue how fast say 130 kilometres per hour is, or how to work out MPG in Litres per 100 Kilometre....

Yes,while you may resist it, it would be better if you change over to kms and kms/hour. Maybe while you're at it, why not start driving on the right side of the road:D

We changed over back in the 1970's. My 1976 XS500C had a mph speedo, but when I bought a 1979 car, it had a km/hr speedo. At my work, boiler pressure that had been in PSI, all of a sudden was in KPA and MPA (kilopascals and megapascals).

In Canada we actually run with a dual system. While the meat products in the store are labelled in dollars/kilogram, the sales flyers and signs in the stores display dollars/pound in big letters, with a very tiny dollars/kg down in one corner.

Our problem is that our biggest trading partner is the USA. So that makes it almost impossible for us to be 100% metric. C'mon americans, write your congressman and senator, and start the lobby process to get yourselves changed over to the world standard.

I buy gas in litres, and drive in kms/hr, but my mind still thinks in mpg. That's american mpg, as I long ago gave up on the british gallon. :shrug:

Some great posts so far :thumbsup:
Its interesting to see how most of us use combination of old and new systems (except Luddite USA of course), I wonder what the kids of today use?
Will they be taught lbs for food, and litres for fuel, or will the old system finally die out?
I asked my nephew aged 25 and a plasterer, he's only ever bought bags of plaster in kilos and does all measuring calcs in metric...never used anything else and doesn't have a clue how heavy 5 lbs is :eek:

I'm now going to start stripping my XS, getting back to the topic! I'm taking out the Heiden Tuning Hi-lift camshaft and refitting the standard set up, I want the low end power back!
Also, there's a mist of oil forming on the cooling fins, so I've got a leak somewhere

Back