engine trouble

Yep. And there's this to internalize. When you troubleshoot, assume nothing. The combustion tripod stands on three legs: ignition, compression, and fuel. You can directly inspect the ignition, and until you do you're chasing your tail. You can directly inspect compression. You can only assess fuel mixture indirectly unless you have an exhaust gas analyzer and a dynamometer. The rule of thumb is "When in doubt, ignition first." Troubleshooting is a process of elimination, not a guessing game, and I kick myself every time I forget that principle and spend a few hours running in circles.

Long troubleshooting story. Fresh top end build. 750cc. Engine making a rattling noise. At TDC adjusted the can chain tensioner. Checked valves and so on. Found the rattling to be a missing spacer/cushion on the “E” style tensioner assembly. Got it to be a “two kicker” first kick of its warm. Vape ignition. Still won’t come down from idle right after finding wrong jets and carb parts were installed. Throttle shaft seals are coming soon. 76-77 BS 38s.

Back