Enlarging holes in a 21" rim

Bummer, but thanks for the heads up. I just got back home from the Gypsy Run last night and didn't have a chance to really to read this or check out the wheel much, but I just tore it down and will update my progress in a bit.

Ok i'm going to stop right here for the moment to see what everyone thinks.
IMG_20140915_083932457.jpg

IMG_20140915_083928712_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140915_083918080_HDR.jpg

OK, that looks right. At this point, I would evenly snug the inners only (matching thread depths of spoke into nipple/nuts). Then, if minimal thread is exposed (both below and above the nipple/nut), I'd say it's a go. Ideally, you want no threads to extend above the nipple/nut, and no more than 3 threads showing below it. If not, (since your pattern looks correct), the spokes may need to be cut/shortened or exchanged for longer. If they're just a bit too long, and there's still enuff thread to work the nipple/nuts, they can be trimmed later with a dremel/grinder.

If OK, then, after just snugging the inners only, is where I would do the initial tightening and trueing. A lot easier using only half the spokes to start, and adjustments are more direct and make sense.

After truing/centering (getting correct center or offset of the rim) with the inners, then snug down the outers, checking/keeping true, and use them to final/tweek the true. A real balancing act here...

Today I was at the grocery store and ran into a guy I know that owns a shop and asked him about wheel truing and he said he could do it for me. I just happened to have the wheel with me so I decided to just let him finish up for me.

Back