Exaust advice needed

J ray

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there. ive got an 81 xs650 that i replaced the 34mm cv carbs with the larger 38mm cv's. That said, I plan to replace the stock exaust with something that idles quietly but really barks around 4000rpm. I dont know brands of pipes too much; whos' good, whos reasonable, whos not good. Any suggestions?
What sort of tuning, adjustment am i gonna need to do to the carbs? thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Jray
can't help with the exhaust I'm afraid but on your carbs, read the carb guide several times
http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
If you are running pod air filters & a free flowing exhaust............
work out what year your carbs are from and then go up one size on pilot jet & 2 sizes on mains & drop needle one. (from what is standard for your carb year)
If just an exhaust change...............
maybe just the pilot & one up on mains
This should get you close but no two XS650's are the same, so some playing will be required
The carb guide explains it really well

Here's one recipe for an economical system, J ray. 1-1/2" headpipes, either MAC or Mike's (don't know about Mike's but MAC chrome is crummy, have to keep after it or you'll have corrosion in the first season with it) with EPO inserts at the inlets. For muffs I like the 17" Emgo reverse megaphones; the ones I've seen needed to be packed right out of the box, but the smooth core baffle is a nice touch. The MAC muffs supplied if you buy the 2-2 system hold up better than the headpipes and sound OK once you chuck the mechanical baffle and install the straight-through glasspack "competition" baffle, available as an accessory. MAC unfortunately used louvered cores, but they perform decently.

Hey thanks grizld1. I'm gonna keep the stock headpipes. You're steering me in the right direction though as i think glasspacks are the way I'll go. Any other and others' suggestions/recomondations about these?

- Theyre 2" angled inlet/outlet automotive shorty glass packs from Autozone-the red paint stripped off and painted with black header paint after welding mounts and adapters on...according to the comment section

Wow great video. Found some great hill climber footage too. Thanks for the link. Who makes those muffs?

Cherry Bombs If you can't get the muffler inlet in 1 1/2 you'll have to get creative in reducing the inlet to slip over the header pipe.

How much do the cherries weigh compared to most bike mufflers? They sound sweet! I run mikes stainless 1 3/4" with the harley clone mufflers. The stainless is kind of yellow and this thing is loud! Too loud for me!

Back