Excessive oil from breather hoses

Toad

Toad
Reaction score
1972 xs2 just got on the road it has air pods air filters have been removed I am leaking excessive oil through the breather hoses. Any ideas out there?:banghead::banghead

Many owners reported this problem during the first few years of production. Yamaha took several steps to alleviate it. The first, and probably biggest, was to reduce the amount of oil in the crankcase. It was 3000cc for a dry engine, 2500cc for a routine oil change. It was reduced to 2500 and 2000 respectively. That's about a half a quart. They also recommended filling to no more than halfway between the low and high mark on the dip stick.

The other change involved the breather outlets. For a couple years, they plugged one and only used the other, so one breather hose. Then they opened them both up again but put rubber reducer plugs in them to limit their outlet. The plugs had about 1/8" holes in them. Finally, they redesigned the whole breather housing, changing it to a single outlet style and with the outlet hole reduction built right in .....

LateBreather.jpg

You can swap one of these late style single outlet breathers onto your motor if you like. In the mean time, your easiest "quick fix" would be to totally plug one outlet and only use the other one.

Thanks for the info the engine was rebuilt by a questionable mechanic I just got the bike running,things I found clutch out of adjustment, road about 30 miles blew out about 3/4 at of Rotella T. No e start,kicker lost all operations. Drained oil found lots of metal shavings on oil filter. Engine was rebuilt less. Then 200 moles. Any advice??

Choices are A. Rebuild the engine yourself or B. Find another engine. One with a known history prefferably. I would rebuild the motor. You would know what is in there. How clean the parts are. It is not that difficult engine to do. You have help here and a manual or 2 is a must. Biker.net has a online FSM you can download, but a paper manual is a must.

Back