excessive vibrations.

malloym

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
been putting some miles on the new cafe build and the bike runs great... cruises around town very nice, smooth power, etc.. my issue is when i'm on the interstate going around 80mph my ass is going numb from the vibrations.. I can ride around town all day at 50mph and the bike is great, on the highway it's a real PITA. I'm running a 30t rear sprocket to bring the rpms down. motor was just rebuilt.. I'm running the OMARSDTR cafe seat that is made of fiberglass. could this be the issue. it's mounted directly to the frame. i'm using big rubber washers between the seat and the frame to help dampen, but i'm still getting vibrations... any other suggestions to help this..

- could well be a combination of things affecting the harmonics...freshening the motor, altering the gearing ratio, seat construction, riding position etc...these bikes do vibrate

- is it your feeling that the vibration level has increased or is it possible that your have become more exposed to it?

well, I do know that these things vibrate and to be honest I never really putting any miles on it in stock form. I think the gearing helped. I also have new tires, wheels, spokes that were trued and balanced at a shop.. I really think it's the fiberglass seat that is transmitting the 2nd order vibrations. I'm trying to think of a way to reduce it even more... maybe yoga mat between the seat and the frame?

Gearing it taller will definately help maybe try 18/30 and the more the compression the more the vibrations....as I have found for sure....ignition timing effects these some too......taller gears needs attention to ignition timing...ATU bikes I don't know......retard some and try it....TCI bikes for sure need retard with taller gears........I went to 8-1 compression for that very reason and lost 50 percent of the vibes at least...........don't even notice it now......before I would just slow down and grit my teeth.....xsjohn

18-30 might be ok if your a whippet like John. Though his other stuff is good!
They certainly do vibrate a lot standard........Yoga mat could help or some ballast to soak up some vibes. Otherwise you'll just have to harden up!

- is this the seat?

narrowcomp.jpg

- if so, its thicker than the one on my cafe-18in spoked wheels, 34T rear, 18 front, high ratio primaries and 5th gear overdrive...my seat is glass based bolted direct to the frame, bars are not quite flat...i could go to 36T rear sprocket to relieve the clutch somewhat and slow me down a little...nonetheless i find the vibration quite manageable especially when i spend the time to keep the bike in tune and the carbs in synch

You might want to look into locating a gel seat. No joke, they are available. Then you'd be 'Gellin', like a fellon.

Go though and check all your motor mount bolts too. I have heard of guys leaving the top one off and that causing excessive vibes.

Well, the designers of the XS basically decided to combat the vibrations by putting rubber dampers on...well...everything except the engine. Make sure all the bolts are torqued for the engine, and get some rubber dampers/cushions to put between your glass seat and frame. Did you see what happened to that guys tank when he lost his rubber cushion? Vibrations basically snapped his tank mount off.

here is how I fixed the vibrations... purchased a triumph speedmaster.. bike will cruise at 100mph with the ass feelin fine. :)

Back