Exciting New Job Opportunity

Here is my take on this........I'v been following the thread a bit............

If the opportunity is there to make more money than present ...............+

If the opportunity is to basically learn a trade or to learn to operate something that give you more skill that will help you to advance yourself in the future.............+

If the job looks to be a bit boring............the question is...... what does it offer me.............If i stay for a period of time. ....(give your self say 4 or 5 years, it is always a good thing when you change jobs a potential employer sees someone who is prepared to stay for a prolonged period)..... how will i benefit........???..........

If your are in the running against someone who has more skill than yourself............be prepared to take the hours that others are not prepared to or are reluctant to.......Also state this to your employer, and tell them your willing to work overtime and if necessary call outs.....Enthusiasm, and humor, (without arse licking), helps to sway an employer................also talk about how you make your current job interesting, why your interested in going for this one without being negative about your present job

Be prepared to work when others are not...........Your young, there is time in a few years to do some of the things that you may miss out on now to get a job that will offer some thing that gives a personal gain through knowledge.............

Engage any personal you meet by looking them in the eye, a smile, a "how are you going", and offering your hand.

Pete makes a good point about a letter.............Also word it in such a way as a thank you and make any points that you feel you may not have said..........again don't arse lick..........be engaging.

Negatives.........Way up the pro's and cons, write them down, compare them to your present job by doing the same, Pros and cons.........

I would get jobs over the phone when there were 30-40 or more people applying........Often i would be talking to the potential employer about my experiences and what i offered, they would start talking about when i would be doing this or that........I would ask.......have i got the job...........Yes...........attitude

Last edited:
For sure. Every wise employer will value an inexperienced but willing employee over a superbly qualified but indifferent employee - every single time.

Knowledge is easy to acquire - but attitude is born-in.

Pete
A thank you letter is something Ive planned on doing, however, its a very unique interview process... Im pretty much in the wraps with HR at the moment, and we are in contact via email. I do get a very "unprofessional" feeling when communicating via email. just feels like a text message in a suit coat... A thank you letter would be a fantasic Idea. I learned a lot about that in school... perhaps I should do that, theyre 16 minutes from my apartment.. snail mail would have it there in a days time...

The point is that people get VERY few real letters these days and so when something arrives in an envelope with a stamp on it, it get noticed.

Keep it short, to the point, say thank you f9 the opportunity to meet with them and TELL them that you’d be delighted to join their team.

I’ll bet you will be the only person to do that.

Pete

Here is my take on this........I'v been following the thread a bit............

If the opportunity is there to make more money than present ...............+

If the opportunity is to basically learn a trade or to learn to operate something that give you more skill that will help you to advance yourself in the future.............+

If the job looks to be a bit boring............the question is...... what does it offer me.............If i stay for a period of time. ....(give your self say 4 or 5 years, it is always a good thing when you change jobs a potential employer sees someone who is prepared to stay for a prolonged period)..... how will i benefit........???..........

If your are in the running against someone who has more skill than yourself............be prepared to take the hours that others are not prepared to or are reluctant to.......Also state this to your employer, and tell them your willing to work overtime and if necessary call outs.....Enthusiasm, and humor, (without arse licking), helps to sway an employer................also talk about how you make your current job interesting, why your interested in going for this one without being negative about your present job

Be prepared to work when others are not...........Your young, there is time in a few years to do some of the things that you may miss out on now to get a job that will offer some thing that gives a personal gain through knowledge.............

Engage any personal you meet by looking them in the eye, a smile, a "how are you going", and offering your hand.

Pete makes a good point about a letter.............Also word it in such a way as a thank you and make any points that you feel you may not have said..........again don't arse lick..........be engaging.

Negatives.........Way up the pro's and cons, write them down, compare them to your present job by doing the same, Pros and cons.........

I would get jobs over the phone when there were 30-40 or more people applying........Often i would be talking to the potential employer about my experiences and what i offered, they would start talking about when i would be doing this or that........I would ask.......have i got the job...........Yes...........attitude

This is also a lot of necessary insight to my current situation. The issues I'm seeing are pretty apparent.

Here's the main factor: I am tailored to learning, and adaptive behavior, no matter the job. I know myself well enough by now to say with confidence that I can learn damn near anything you set in front of me. this isn't always good though. I've jumped from job to job a lot in my short employment career. Unfortunately my longest job was 2 years. from 16yo to 18yo as a bagger at a local ma and pa grocery store. from there I took a multitude of hands on jobs, with shit pay, terrible bosses, or just horrible teamwork. I have been with the bank that I work for since September, and its my longest streak of employment since the grocery store. The problem I have with keeping the same job is usually money. at first I was managing my money poorly but now its merely an issue of just simply never having enough of it. with my school loans, helping pay for my girlfriends school loans, rent, car payments, you name it. I just don't make enough anymore. its even getting hard for me to make my living currently at $15/hr. Ill admit, I like to live a bit outside my means, but dammit did I need that garage....

E.E.C looks like a very repetitive job. milling, and rough cutting magnets all day, every day. same shape, same size, same place. boo hoo… CON
overtime is great. that's a PRO. sometimes its mandatory, that's a CON.
staffing is weak and from what I've heard and they need to hire hire hire.
that being said, I don't know what is taking them this long... I want to be patient, but Im also getting a lot more time to think than I really need...

Id learn to set up machining equipment, which is a huge PRO.
Id also learn how to use it. another huge PRO.
Id get "machining experience" but I feel that's a very broad term, because if I have experience with just one machine, is that really considered machining experience? or do I just "know how to run the double disk planer"? Trades are looking more and more at people that carry a degree, and quite honestly, a motorcycle degree doesn't seem to mean shit to anyone these days. not even my local shops want to see it.

The point is that people get VERY few real letters these days and so when something arrives in an envelope with a stamp on it, it get noticed.

Keep it short, to the point, say thank you f9 the opportunity to meet with them and TELL them that you’d be delighted to join their team.

I’ll bet you will be the only person to do that.

Pete
I agree completely. I just don't wanna look like a suck ass either. I guess Im kind of at the point in my career where I don't want to keep jumping around, and the tour of the facility didn't give me much confidence that Id like to be there for a long long time. I wont know unless I try, but I hate the idea that if I don't like it as much as I thought I would, Id be wasting their time, as well as mine.

Not to dissuade you, but you seem hesitant about taking a 'production' job. Here was my experience at that....
When I retired from the Air Force in 94, I went to work for Micron in Boise Id. It was 4 days on 3 days off... 3 day on 4 days off. For 12 hrs a day I stared into an electron microscope. Set a silicon disk into it, line up a mask, abrade off the materiel that didn't belong there... and set it in a box. Pick up a new one from the other box, set it in the fixture.... abrade... put in the done box.... rinse and repeat ad nauseum.... for 12 hrs a day. I couldn't do it. I quit after 3 wks. Some people aren't cut out for production line work. The pay was good. Still... couldn't do it.
As I said, I'm not out to dissuade you... just be aware of what you'll be doing and ask yourself if you can do it.

Not to dissuade you, but you seem hesitant about taking a 'production' job. Here was my experience at that....
When I retired from the Air Force in 94, I went to work for Micron in Boise Id. It was 4 days on 3 days off... 3 day on 4 days off. For 12 hrs a day I stared into an electron microscope. Set a silicon disk into it, line up a mask, abrade off the materiel that didn't belong there... and set it in a box. Pick up a new one from the other box, set it in the fixture.... abrade... put in the done box.... rinse and repeat ad nauseum.... for 12 hrs a day. I couldn't do it. I quit after 3 wks. Some people aren't cut out for production line work. The pay was good. Still... couldn't do it.
As I said, I'm not out to dissuade you... just be aware of what you'll be doing and ask yourself if you can do it.
Not a dissuasion at all. its acutally pretty much hitting the nail on the head. My issue is that everything requires some sort of production. Look at TUFFSIDE seats. Hes a dude in CA that makes motorcycle seats. REALLY badass seats. but the amount of monotony in some of the processes is unreal.

Even with being a technician there is monotony. YES it varies a lot from day to day, but same place, same people, same tools, different bikes. I just have a hard time finding a job field that holds my attention, and makes decent money.

I honestly feel like Id like being a field worker, or a plumber... My brother just took a job where hes doing commercial plumbing installation. all new piping, insulation, etc. No poop pipes, no hairy clogs, just new installation on big buildings. thats cool to me, but again. its all gonna get old eventually. I just kinda have this feeling that Im never gonna know what I actually wanna do. it sucks. I guess Ill figure it out, but for now, Im pretty damn confused.

To update you all, I've been primarily looking for 1st shift, but they said there's a weekend shift available should I decide I want to work from 6am-7pm Friday thru Sunday... Yikes. I've been put on the table with other candidates (with prior machining experience) so my odds have just decreased. Nevertheless they are still expressing interest in me as a worker. If I did 2nd shift, I'd get a differential pay, as well as only working 4 10's. Seems manageable. Some words of advice my girlfriend gave me last night "overall, what do you wanna do in life when you're not working?" To which I replied "work on, build, and ride motorcycles/cars/toys" she said "then make the money to afford your wants" something to be said for that, for sure.

I'll be honest. The work that I saw from the tour seemed quite monotonous, but the hours are there, machining is a great skill to have, and I'd get very good at measuring small tolerances.

Sounds like a skill you'd need to have to build a fun race motor huh?

I'm in absolute awe with the advice I get from my fellow forum members. I consider this a place full of mentors I wish I had five years ago. Thanks so much to every single one of you putting in a piece of your minds. It'll surely help me shape myself into a successful adult.
I LIKE THIS GUY..............

Ah hell...we’re all acting like your Dad here, so I might as well add my unsolicited thoughts as well.
With regards to production work, I have no doubt that once you’ve learned the job it could be quite tedious, but that doesn’t have to be the end of your career there. As others have said, attitude and aptitude can sometimes carry more weight than a degree.
My first job when I was hired by the Post Office was operating high speed letter sorting machinery in a huge facility.
It was a factory in every sense of the word, and working on those machines was an incredibly repetitive and boring job. I did not go to college, I went to trade school, I was a welder before working for the Post Office.
But as soon as I hired in, I was aggressive, I made it clear to my bosses that I wanted to learn more, do more, I asked for additional responsibilities. Soon I was serving on the safety teams then I became a trainer for the new recruits, within 3 years I was in management. The thing is, I was always hustling, I knew I had stiff competition from people that had degrees. I remember telling my wife that I was going to work so hard they couldn’t help but notice me. I wound up with a 31 year career there, and I moved around a lot over the years. If I wanted a change, I always campaigned for it. I would figure out who was in charge that could make it happen and go directly to them.
When 50 people are trying for the same position, the guy who has the power to hire is sitting at a desk looking at a stack of applications , he will remember the guy who came to see him personally.
There were times that a co worker would say to me, “You’re so lucky you got that job!” about a job they wanted.
I would ask them, did you apply for it? Did you take the classes? How about the test? Have you gone for your certification? Well......No, No, No.
It always seems that the harder I worked, the luckier I got.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head, Mailman. We're all acting like Dad's because we've all been where Yamtech is currently.....trying to decide what the heck to do for a career. Bottom line...fire in your belly in whatever you find to do simply pays off. "Luck" always seems to happen to those that are willing to go the extra mile regardless of adversity and regardless of the task you are doing for the day. Live each day as if you it's your last, since none of us are guaranteed tomorrow let alone out next breath. Okay I'll quit "preaching", which is what my daughters always accused me of doing.

You hit the nail on the head, Mailman. We're all acting like Dad's because we've all been where Yamtech is currently.....trying to decide what the heck to do for a career. Bottom line...fire in your belly in whatever you find to do simply pays off. "Luck" always seems to happen to those that are willing to go the extra mile regardless of adversity and regardless of the task you are doing for the day. Live each day as if you it's your last, since none of us are guaranteed tomorrow let alone out next breath. Okay I'll quit "preaching", which is what my daughters always accused me of doing.

Guys... I don't feel bombarded by the "preaching" if anything, I come here for guidance the most. Sure, I love to ride, and work on vintage machinery, and it's fun as hell to watch you guys B.S and say things like "arse-lick" but in the end, this forum is a place I can go to and ask really dumb "young guy" questions and not be scorned for it. I got thick skin, but it's nice to be able to get opinions from all different walks of life.

I guess I just gotta ride the wave, be patient, and wait for the right job to come my way. Not to say I won't continue searching, but realistically speaking, if I find a job I like, I won't leave it... That's when Ill know what I'm gonna do for the rest of my time on this planet. I highly doubt it's gonna be standing over a cutting wheel watching magnets get cut all day every day. And it sure as hell isn't gonna be handing money to rich old people all day either. (Nothing wrong with Rich old people... Just not my favorite gig...)

ZACKLEY!!

That what my Dad taught me and it’s one of the most important lessons any Dad can pass along.

Pete
Agreed, although I never learned anything like that from my Dad....he was never around, lol. The other life lesson I learned is that it's important to give yourself freedom to take risks, to fail and make mistakes. Best way to learn and grow. How many failures before the lightbulb was finally invented? How many times did I forget to put that little push plate (or whatever it's called) in properly before assembling the clutch basket? Won't repeat that mistake ever again...lol.

Back