Exciting New Job Opportunity

G_YamTech_314

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I got a possible job opportunity with a company that manufactures rare earth magnets for custom applications! What do you guys think? Any advice? Benefits seem great, plenty of opportunity for O.T and a WEALTH of awesome information and learning opportunity. They said they use a lot of old school machining equipment. Hones, grinding, etc. I'm excited about working with technology again, but I guess I'm here kinda looking for some pointers. Any must have tools? Thoughts I'll need to have going into something like this? Any and all comments are much appreciated.

I agree with Marty, you’re still young, a long time to build a career ( wherever that takes you). Anything you do that broadens your background and field of knowledge is a good thing. It opens up opportunities for you in the future that you aren’t even aware of now.
And if it puts more money in your pocket to boot? Winner winner chicken dinner!

Well, the benefits are about the same as my current job, as well as the starting wage. I make $15/hr as a bank teller now. So basically, I am a certified Motorsports technician that hands people their money. This next job lands me at a work bench with tools in hand, and machinery I'm unfamiliar with. Exciting! The wages also cap out way higher than the bank so if I put my time in, it's well worth it. Not to mention I am able to work overtime! Something the banks don't allow. I have to be there for a year before they'd give me any vacation time... So that's a real bummer. Taking this job would mean sacrificing my 2019 Vaca. But boy oh boy would I make more and learn more...

congratulations ! sounds like a really good job move with good prospects.

best advice I can think of is don't forget to pack your lunchbox :)
I don't know about you but I can't concentrate when I'm hungry.lol........

Rare earth magnets are definitely an up-and-coming field as they are a core technology in electric vehicle propulsion and all sorts of other hi-tech fields such as information storage technologies and aerospace instrumentation etc.. As for the provisions on vacation....that is a sh!tty deal that wouldn't fly here either. I would push hard on that one.

On the China issue (very sensitive right now for we Canadians as they are holding two of our people hostage plus messing with our agricultural trade - for political reasons), it is true that they control a good portion of the trade in R-E materials at present. However, the planet is a pretty big place (and thankfully, much of it is Canadian ;)) and so I suspect that there are vigorous efforts underway on the part of many other countries to find deposits of these strategic materials in places that are controlled by nations that respect the rule of law.

All of that to say, if you have an opportunity to get into the topic with a good firm and the salary/benefits and location are good >>>> I'd grab it!

Pete

Last edited:
Bloody hell, no employer would get away with that in the UK.

As far as I know there is no legal entitlement to paid holidays at all in the US. In the UK the statutory entitlement is 20 days plus 8 days bank holidays.

(I'll not comment further because … y'know … politics.)

Good luck with job though @G_YamTech_314 . Sounds great.

Bloody hell, no employer would get away with that in the UK. In all other respects the job sounds great, but do they really want to burn you out in year 1?
Maybe that's negotiable?
I believe after one year I get 13 paid vacation days. Before that one year mark I believe I get around 3-5? I'm sure it's more than zero. If not I'll he doing some thinking.

Well, right now I work for a bank. They gave me 15 pro rated days, to which they're gonna make me pay them back for when I leave (oh well, screw em')

As far as vacation goes with this new job opportu it, I am not HAPPY that I might wait a whole year for any time off, but hey, it's mon-fri. 6:30am - 3:00pm. There's opportu it for overtime and when it is mandatory, they try to be as flexible as possible.

I could use some OT. I have a bike to build after all...

Bloody hell, no employer would get away with that in the UK.
Welcome to the land of corporate rule.:rolleyes: Just about every job I've had here in the states didn't give vacation the first year.... but they do give sick days. Usually 5-10 days a year. Plus you can always take a day off without pay... especially if good overtime is there.

Learning to operate different shop machinery is a definite plus on a future resume. I'd jump at it.

Welcome to the land of corporate rule.:rolleyes: Just about every job I've had here in the states didn't give vacation the first year.... but they do give sick days. Usually 5-10 days a year. Plus you can always take a day off without pay... especially if good overtime is there.

Learning to operate different shop machinery is a definite plus on a future resume. I'd jump at it.
That's what I'm thinking. If I walk a day in their shoes I gotta think about what risks are involved with hiring a 22 year old. "Is he gonna be reliable?" "Is he gonna stick around?" "Will he be on time?" "Will he learn at a pace that we like?" These are the questions that I feel ultimately dictate why corporations don't give vacation within the first year. It's probably hard enough as is to get people to stay that long. Why would they pay someone to not show up before they've proven themselves? I find it hard to get upset about. However, I'd be lying if I said I don't want vacation days right away.

I'm more excited about being there, and learning than I am about getting paid to NOT be there... Lol that's just me though.

These are the questions that I feel ultimately dictate why corporations don't give vacation within the first year.
There was a time in this fair land.... (G. Lightfoot ref. there ;)) where companies gave you a 30-90 day probation period. After that you got full benefits... including vacation. Bean counters and lawyers figured out that you could give your rich investors bigger dividends by shorting the workers of whatever they could... such as a years worth of vacation pay. 90 days is plenty long enough to trial someone and see if they're worth their salt. Anything past that is corporate greed.... pure and simple.

Last edited:
There was a time in this fair land.... (G. Lightfoot ref. there ;)) where companies gave you a 30-90 day probation period. After that you got full benefits... including vacation. Bean counters and lawyers figured out that you could give your rich investors bigger dividends by shorting the workers of whatever they could... such as a years worth of vacation pay. 90 days is plenty long enough to trial someone and see if they're worth their salt. Anything past that is corporate greed.... pure and simple.
There are difinitive pros and cons of it all for sure. The HR woman did let me in on their profit sharing plan. She said there's a payout every November to the employees from the owners that is usually pretty hefty. So perhaps that can outweigh the lack of vacation I'll get. SOMETHING tells me I won't qualify for the 2019 profit sharing list if I take this job. I mean hell, the years already half over...

They might decide they don't like the job but stick around 32 days for the paid vacation.

P.S. my experience with manufacturing jobs is no vacation at all, and in fact lucky if you get any sick days. Late three times and you're fired... Treated like children. Any chance of moving up or changing jobs at the bank? Branch in different town or something?

They might decide they don't like the job but stick around 32 days for the paid vacation.

P.S. my experience with manufacturing jobs is no vacation at all, and in fact lucky if you get any sick days. Late three times and you're fired... Treated like children. Any chance of moving up or changing jobs at the bank? Branch in different town or something?
The bank is not my choice of career... I'm not built for paperwork, and customer service. While they pay well, and offer good benefits the max that I'd be able to achieve personally is very inconsiderable. I want to work with my hands and learn skills that will keep my mind young and teach me things I can't learn elsewhere. Meeting people and teachers that will give me a wealth of knowledge is far more valuable to me than a place of comfortable wages and monotony. I'm 22. I think I need to learn as much as I can while I'm young so that I can work the slower paced jobs when I'm nearing retirement. This company has an average wage (statistically speaking) of like $26/hour. The bank would require many many many years to even come close to a salary like that. It's a thought. I've got time to make my decision, I just really don't enjoy the bank life...

I've got time to make my decision, I just really don't enjoy the bank life...
Here's what I used to tell my students....
One day you'll arrive at your last day on this earth. You don't get to ask for a "do-over." Make sure your journey to that day is a journey of your choosing.... one you enjoy.
Spent my life as a mechanic. I wouldn't trade that for anything:)

Back