Exhaust Help

cretinxs81

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently read the thread on aftermarket mufflers and it was suggested to use an OD to install the mufflers to the stock headers. I cut the stock mufflers off and the headers are doubled walled. When I try to insert the recommended OD, I can't get it over the inside pipe, any suggestions to help me get the OD on?

I take it you're trying to fabricate port inserts for 1-1/2" pipes from the ends of the old head pipes. One procedure is to cut off the outer layer of material and grind the weld until you have a tight fit into the new pipe, then smack the insert in with a wood block and hammer. If you've done the grinding right you'll have no leaks.

I purchased an OD from an automotive store (one suggested by the aftermarket thread) and I can not insert the smaller diameter inside the header. Is there a trick to doing it?

Oops--you were clear enough, but my reading wasn't! Would swaging the end of the adapter help you to get it started?

Got the mufflers on, used a 1 1/2" - 1 3/8" OD. I had a custom muffler shop expand the 1 1/2" to slip over the headers and the 1 3/8" fit perfect for the mufflers. I took her out for a short hop and it ran better than the open mufflers I had on previously. Gotta love these XS six-fifties.....

xswithnewmufflers-1.jpg

Back