Exhaust Leak From Motor to Pipes, How Much is Too Much??

leggers

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is even a little leak too much?

I've recently noticed that there seems to be exhaust pushing out from the headclamps. I cannot pinpoint whether it is coming from the outside or inside of the headclamp but I suspect that it could be because the exhaust is not sitting flush to the gasket inside.

Anyway I was curious on others opinions or experiences. I haven't done a compression test on it, and yes there are the proper crush gaskets behind the finned headclamps. the acorn nuts are torqued down tight. The amount of gas escaping is minimal, but enough to bug me. Thoughts?

Thanks.:D

O3WOt.jpg

hmmm, well I suppose I did take them on and off with a new set of gaskets to mount the exhaust. I think I have another new set lying around somewhere. Its worth a shot! Thanks.

When a set of gaskets are $5 or less and it takes 20 minutes to change.....any is to much.

Im not picky about a little leak here and there.....but that one is plenty easy and cheap to remedy.

If you have installed an aftermarket set of mufflers and you just clamped them over the outer pipe of the double walled headers, then they will leak from the drainage hole that is in the outer pipe and the wedling on the outer pipe is not leak proof at the cylinder head joint. The outer pipe is not intended to carry any pressure. It is just there for looks. The inner pipe is where the exhaust is, so you need to use an adaptor to connect your aftermarket muffler to the inner pipe.

Here is a pic showing the inner pipe:

inner.jpg

Here is the adapter available from most auto supply stores:

adapter.jpg

Here is the adaptor in the muffler:

adapter2.jpg

Installed;

muffler.jpg

Xray view:

muffler2.jpg

Last edited:
My exhaust is OEM as far as I know. Don't have em near me, but the mufflers have 14721 stamped on them if memory serves.

I've got my exhaust taken apart. This is a first for me as will be reassembly.

Is there a recommended way to or proper order to reassemble the exhaust system? Does it matter?

Should the headpipes be secured first followed by the muffler or vice versa?

Thanks.

If you have installed an aftermarket set of mufflers and you just clamped them over the outer pipe of the double walled headers, then they will leak from the draimage hole that is in the outer pipe and the wedling on the outer pipe is not leak proof at the cylinder head joint. The outer pipe is not intended to carry any pressure. It is just there for looks. The inner pipe is where the exhaust is, so you need to use an adaptor to connect your aftermarket muffler to the inner pipe.

agreed. I welded the upper holes shut.

YamaLovin76, In this thread the red 650C has original style muffles. if the blue one is yours then they are aftermarket and the problem pamcopete mentions will apply to your bike.

Posting pics helps others to identify problems

leggers, sorry for adding to the hijack

If you have installed an aftermarket set of mufflers and you just clamped them over the outer pipe of the double walled headers, then they will leak from the draimage hole that is in the outer pipe and the wedling on the outer pipe is not leak proof at the cylinder head joint. The outer pipe is not intended to carry any pressure. It is just there for looks. The inner pipe is where the exhaust is, so you need to use an adaptor to connect your aftermarket muffler to the inner pipe.

agreed. I welded the upper holes shut.

It's not just the drainage holes. The welds for the outer pipe at the header are not gas tight. They leak badly. The outer pipe is just for appearance because they are not supposed to discolor from the heat. Do not clamp to the outer pipe...:wtf:

Im only guessing the blue 650c is YamaLovin76, and he is thanking posters as though the answers are for him and i thought he was the owner of the thread.

yamalovin asked a question, got an answer, and bounced out. its still the same topic regardless. no harm.

yamalovin asked a question, got an answer, and bounced out. its still the same topic regardless. no harm.

LOL and i didn't realize this was a regurgitated thread.

YamaLovin76. Set the headers into the head making sure it is alined properly and set the flanges and install the acorns. Do not tighten right up and make sure the flange has an even gap all round, and then put the bolt in the lower part of the header, do not tighten up. slip on the muffler so the rear foot-peg bolt goes in, again do not tighten up.

Once every thing is lined up do up the joint nut , flange acorns and the bracket bolts.

Back