Exhaust pipes in the way - how can I bend the kickstart

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
The photos tell the story. The exhaust pipes run on the right side of the engine, but that means the kickstarter cannot return to its position. I have to ride with the kickstarter out.

Anyone any ideas?

I am looking for the inexpensive option, so no re-fabricating pipes to run down the left side. I wonder if it is possible to bend the kickstarter to curve elegantly around the contour of the pipes - and away from the back of my right leg when I come to a stop (Ouch!).

Anlaf

Attachments

• IMG_7608.jpg
    IMG_7608.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_7598.jpg
    IMG_7598.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_7597.jpg
    IMG_7597.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 429
I'll put the word out and see if there is someone who can do that.

I used to have a BSA chopper, and the kickstater foot-perch was on a swivel, which was a good design. Is there any such thing for an XS650?

Anlaf

Be careful, the Kickstart lever is cast and due to the aligment of the metal crystals they dont normally respond well to bending. Might be worth buying a cheap second user one to try out first?

Thanks Paulr, that's the type of thing I needed to know. I have a spare kickstarter and I'll see if that bends to how I want it.

Has anyone tried modifying the kickstarter?

Anlaf

I have neve done anything with the kickstart but I did have to modify the original rear brake lever on my build. It was to short from ther spline to the radius to clear the pipes I had made. So, I bought another, cut them and welded them back together. i was a little apprehensive, as the brake lever is cast in the same way as the kickstart but to date, all is well!
100_2611.jpg

Thanks Paulr, that's helpful - hmmm! cutting and welding might not upset those temperamental metal crystals. But another idea struck me - perhaps I can cut a section indent (a recess) into the pipes.

Has anyone modified pipes to accommodate the kickstarter?

Anlaf

Generally after a process like that, I anneal the piece by heating to dull red and letting it cool naturally. this removes stresses in the metal and promotes the re-alignment of crystals to a degree.
If i recall correctly the OE pipes have a similar recess /indent to accomodate the brake lever. This may well be your best bet?

Looking at your pics again, you could get another kick start and cut the splined section off, then weld it onto the one you have now to pust the lever out and claer of the pipes. The onyl draw back being a kickstart lever being a little more out in the breeze so to speak.

I found two photos which show just what I had in mind - that way the kickstarter stays in where it should be.

I wouldn't know how to go about this modification, but I am keen to learn. Any pointers?

Anlaf

Attachments

• XS650 EXHAUST MOD FOR KICKSTARTER 01.jpg
    XS650 EXHAUST MOD FOR KICKSTARTER 01.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,014
  • XS650 EXHAUST MOD FOR KICKSTARTER 02.jpg
    XS650 EXHAUST MOD FOR KICKSTARTER 02.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 793
The first image looks like it is a hole cut inthe exhaust which I wouldnt recommend. The second involces bending the pipes.
With yours there is plenty of scope to bend your pipes slightly into the recess behind the engine to clear the kickstart.
Take of the exhaust wrap mark the top on the pipes (so you know which is up when you remove them for bending reference) then mark where you want the kink to start and where to stop, I would suggest about 1 1/2" in and about 10" long
Pull the pipes off an take them to a shop / Engnieering works that has a pipe bender and ask them to bend the kink in to go behind the kickstart.

Thanks Paulr, I know someone who has just got hold of a pipe-bender at his workshop for his custom cars.

By the way, the end of my pipes, if you can see, don't open out directly back, there are vents on the side. Will the pipe-bending need to have a straight-through pipe to bend it?

Anlaf

Thanks Paulr, I will be going down the pipe-bending route, and I am looking forward to the kickstarter being in its rightful place again - speaking of kickstarters you might want to look at the thread I have just started: CYLINDER HEAD REMOVAL to INVESTIGATE SUDDEN HIGH COMPRESSION PROBLEM.

Anlaf

Thanks, livingdeadmc, that looks great, and I see you have the same pipe positions on the righthand case - sticking out just enough to throw the kickstart.

Tha HD kickstart is shorter, of course, what is it like to kick with less leverage? - I am thinking 'if it starts a big Harley, it will turn over the XS.' Will any HD big twin kickstart fit?

That's a great bike you have there - really simple, really effective. I like the design on the tank.

Anlaf

By the way, livingdead, do you have any more photos of your bike. I'd like to see the whole thing. I have a bobber project for the winter, and I like what you've done there. Okay, I give up - where are the electrics?

Anlaf

Thanks, livingdeadmc, that looks great, and I see you have the same pipe positions on the righthand case - sticking out just enough to throw the kickstart.

Tha HD kickstart is shorter, of course, what is it like to kick with less leverage? - I am thinking 'if it starts a big Harley, it will turn over the XS.' Will any HD big twin kickstart fit?

That's a great bike you have there - really simple, really effective. I like the design on the tank.

Anlaf

Thanks man I'm real happy how this one turned out.

The modded kicker works great...I notice no difference between it and kicking a stock arm. I would assume any HD arm would work since your ultimately going to be cutting and welding it lol.

Be careful, the Kickstart lever is cast and due to the aligment of the metal crystals they dont normally respond well to bending. Might be worth buying a cheap second user one to try out first?
I bent mine years ago to fit around my pipes and it has held up. It isn't really put under much stress so I would say it would be fine.

Back