exhaust popping?

volcom8877

reckless and relentless
Reaction score
for some reason when i started my bike yesterday it sounded like it was popping. no backfire just pop. i ran it for a couple miles and it calmed down some but is still there. any ideas?

i drove for about 20 miles yesterday and like i said it got ALOT better after the ride but is still there. i got my battery on a tender now to see if that helps but its raining today so i cant ride but i was also thinking it might be a air leak some where. if so where is the common place for the air leaks in and xs?

The carb holders are one place to find leaks. The clamp needs ti be tight, as in the ends of the clamp touching. Where the holder fits the head. They need to be tight enough without being to tight. To tight warps the flange. They can also crack.
On the holders there are hose barbs. On the stock petcock one barb was used to operate the petcock and the other was capped. A loose or cracked cap is often a problem. The hose from the barb to the petcock can get hard or crack.
Throttle shaft seals.
Those are the most common.

I had the same thing happen with my 81xs and turns out I had a burnt exhaust valve! Not saying that is your issue but if it keeps happening run a compression check on the side thats popping. Might help to rule out a bad valve!!

XsC

Spray some starter fluid, lightly, around the boots and such. The rpm's will rise if there is a leak. Do this methodically so you can tell exactly where the leak is. Old boots are a little bit of a pain. Just old and cracked. They also make removing the carbs a pain as well.

I just read this post and thought....hhmm my right side pops a little but the left side doesn't. I've been racking my brain for a year now trying to figure out why my one carb ran different than the other. After reading this post in the "exhaust section" I decided to, just for the hell of it, look down the end of my stock 35 yea old pipes.

It hit me like a ton of bricks....the left (non-popping) side had what looked like a washer restricting flow about 10 inches in. I looked down the right (popping) side and the entire restricting washer was rusted away and the pipe was virtually straight through! Bingo! So I did what first thing came to my mind.....I shoved a pipe up the left side and cleared it too. Now both sides run and sound identical.

I'm completely happy with the louder sound but I hope it doesn't affect anything else. :)

The freer flow may lean out the mixture. Adjusting the mix screws may be enough. If not then try putting the needle clip down 1 slot. I doubt you will see much difference until you go with a freer flowing airfilter.
It will run slightly better.

I am running pod filters and have already bumped up the main jet and pilot jet up one jet....seems to be running great....:)

The stock mufflers with that baffle plate knocked out is about the cheapest performance muffler you can get. Without the baffle plate it is a straight thru muffler.
With one up on the jets and adjusting the mix screws and it will run very good.
Knocking out the baffle plate and putting on Unifilters is about the easiest upgrades to do and get the most bang for the buck.
Leo

Last edited:
They sound pretty good to. Louder but not obnoxious. Nice rumble up to 50-60 mph, then the wind noise covers them.

Back