Exhaust puff

Joe699

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got an xs2 '72'. Today I had it running after cleaning and setting carbs etc. I still need to check timing and cam chain but it was idling well. The one thing I did notice was that when I placed my hands behind the mufflers the left pressure felt a bit weaker?

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

There are a few possibilities. I would do the cam chain and set the valves, then I like to know if the engine has good compression in both cylinders so I check that. If your compression is less than perfect don't panic. If the engine has been sitting for a while a bit of PB blaster sprayed in the plug holes and allowed to sit for a while can help with sticky rings. Get everything set as good as you can and go run the thing good and hard for an hour or two then go through your adjustments again and recheck compression. No sense trying to adjust away a major mechanical issue. Once I know the engine is healthy. I would look to synching your carbs, there are several how to's on here in the tech area link found at the top of every page. The early (two throttle cable) carbs are the hardest to synch and the most likely to need it often.

Back