Muff ... ( as in muffler )

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I help a buddy at this shop, over in Wisconsin.... mostly Xs units... Honda Super Hawks.... basic paint work .... we swore off P-11's... recently two clients returned with their 650's we did a few years ago.... One... 1975... No charging.... I did the feeler gauge test against the engine case.... No reaction.... so, I pulled the stator.. and checked the rotor... " 0.0 "... found another rotor... checked it... good.... installed everything and we got a charging system again.... client also wanted us to address the starter spring.. a common problem.. and the left muffler had.. issues. We explained to the owner that the muffler can be repaired... our welder will cut the bad out.. repair the internals... weld... then it can be chromed... but the cost is... steep.... Our welder has split the large two stroke " tea kettle " mufflers.... repairs the baffles.... welded back together and after chrome.... looks great... we offered the owner Mike's Xs aftermarkets.. either the early series exhaust or the Emco's.... But the bike has a ... emotional attachment .... ".. it has to remain as his friend (who passed) rode it .."... We place the muffler in a kiln .... ( professional model, he use to do tiles) .. bake it,,,,, helps clean the inside.... and it's off to the welder....
other bike is a 72' Xs2.... beautifully done... owner placed it in a museum... where and how long I don't know... got it home and attempted to start it.... No go... opened the tank and it reeked.... they didn't drain the fuel for museum display...! ! ! 😲

Attachments

• Xs 75 Muff.jpg
    Xs 75 Muff.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 39
Back