Shop Day ....

Thursday nights is usually pizza and Subway night along with my D Pepsi and beer at the secret garage.... if we acquire another bike and the other half happens to visit the garage... we tell her it belongs to someone else.... it's how the shop got " secret " attached to it.... ... we have access to the shop at anytime.... Last night I put my rocker cover off the 82' and hit the vapor blaster.... it did a pretty good job removing the paint.... next week the head and cylinders.... Other projects on going with my fellow garage bud's... A Sunbeam.... a 750 " Tea Kettle ".... a Kaw 3 cylinder triple... and my area ...the lift is loaded with 82' Xs bits and packages awaiting the powder coat parts... The fellow with the Sunbeam recently got a " Ner A Car "..... it's next on his lift.... 😎

Attachments

• Project Xs Sunbeam.jpg
    Project Xs Sunbeam.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Project Xs Suk.jpg
    Project Xs Suk.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Project Xs vapor.jpg
    Project Xs vapor.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Project Xs Kaw.jpg
    Project Xs Kaw.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Project Xs lift parts.jpg
    Project Xs lift parts.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 51
Help'd a buddy haul his 305 Dream bits to the powder coater... he use to own a pickup.... but sold it after I bought mine.... he said he didn't need one any more.... Hummmm .... I also drop'd off the body tins to the painter for the project.... at the powder coat shop we off loaded the Dream stuff and I saw my stuff as it exited the big " hot box "... Ooooh... shiny ! I'll pick them up next week.... 😎

Attachments

• Project Xs [ coat done.jpg
    Project Xs [ coat done.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 38
Picked up the powder coat bits... frame and 21 pieces .... $650.oo CadZooks ! Use to be $400-450.oo Put in 3 hours to get turn signals ready for paint.... next the fuel tank and other small bits for gloss black. I checked the invoices so far... and I exceeded what I paid for the bike I bought new in 1982.... and I still have paint.... chrome.. tires... and other items to cover..... 😎😎

Attachments

• Project Xs T Sig done.jpg
    Project Xs T Sig done.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Project Xs T signal start.jpg
    Project Xs T signal start.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Project Xs P coat pick up.jpg
    Project Xs P coat pick up.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 48
I hate paint work..... nearly 3 hours sanding the tank.... tank is in great shape.. no dings... or issues... after it's sanded.... filled with milkstone.... let it set for awhile.... remove and then sealed with Por 15. Only surface rust in the tank.... waiting for the plastic side covers..... one of mine is broken.... then they'll get squirted .... did I mention I hate paint work.... ? 😎

Attachments

• Project Xs tank.jpg
    Project Xs tank.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 22
  • Project Xs tank milkstone.jpg
    Project Xs tank milkstone.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 20
The grungy part.... wear a mask... gloves.. open a window... turn on a fan... don't plan on any more children. I started assembling of the Xs frame. A fellow dropped of a Sprint gas tank for paint....... he paid $800.oo for it ! ... the Tea Kettle got the engine installed..... we finished the clients Xs2... and ran the P-11 back on the lift... the stator is housed in the side cover... we have to install... kick over and look for any witness marks from the rotor and address the issue.... Grrrrr..... Next week.. buff buff buff ..... I dropped my rims off at the chrome shop.... he wanted $600.oo If I pay cash... $400.oo.... I paid cash.... 6-8 weeks. 😎

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3788(1).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3788(1).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Project Xs two.jpg
    Project Xs two.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Project Xs tea kettle.jpg
    Project Xs tea kettle.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Project Xs tank sprint.jpg
    Project Xs tank sprint.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Project Xs A arm.jpg
    Project Xs A arm.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Project Xs strip hubs.jpg
    Project Xs strip hubs.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 31
  • Project Xs Air  strip.jpg
    Project Xs Air strip.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 32
Progress ! ! .. I swear the engine gets heavier every year. On the lift... on one wheel... I had the tires mounted.. the shop said the valve hole in the rear 16 inch rim was set up for a Harley tube... larger hole... strange ? ... so they had to order a 90-degree valve stem Harley 16 inch tube. Now sorting out wiring loom... gingerly adding dielectric grease to each connection... I'm running a Quick Silver faring.... it's at the painters... .. who's working on his tan for a month in Mexico... 😎

Attachments

• Project Xs Lift 1.jpg
    Project Xs Lift 1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Project Xs Lift 2.jpg
    Project Xs Lift 2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 20
... S L O W progress .... turning the heads off the bolts... then cutting threads for chrome acorn nuts.... My 30-year-old Matco thread-die kit had given it's all..... so I ordered replacements... Now doing the same treatment to the caliper bolts.... hope to convert all exposed nuts to chrome acorn..... Quick Silver dropped at the painters... but he thinks a good two stage buff will be better... Rock On ! ... Project is on the back burning for now...... I have a request to enter my 1975 Xs650 Police in a local car show at the end of the month. They want it placed behind the " Easy Rider Capt. American " Panhead ... with the pursuit lights and sirens on.... 😎

Attachments

• Xs P tank.jpg
    Xs P tank.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Projecr Xs studs.jpg
    Projecr Xs studs.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Busy busy.. busy ..... I'm try'n to put in a couple a hours each day at the secret garage. Work on my 82' Xs... going nutty with acorns on the bike. Also getting the Triton spiff'd for photos.... it's going on the market.... ( insert sad face here )... My garage buddies.... a 750 " Tea Kettle ".. and a Sunbeam.. wasn't keen on the color when he painted it.. but I do have to admit... I like it.... Also given a hand on pull'n bikes from a friend sheds,, ... all headed to sale... this Dunstall.... less than 2800 miles...... he bought it in London.. new back in the day.... 😎

Attachments

• ]Project Xs Dunstall.jpg
    ]Project Xs Dunstall.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Project Xs Triton.jpg
    Project Xs Triton.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Project Xs Sunbeam.jpg
    Project Xs Sunbeam.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Project Xs Chip.jpg
    Project Xs Chip.jpg