Shop Day ....

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday we finished up a 75'.... we did it for a guy a few years ago... it now had no charging... replaced rotor-stator... and the usual starter gear-spring. Also the left muffler near the side stand had rusted.. welded it up, looked good on the bike... Chrome shop wanted ... wait for it... $1000.oo to grind the welds and chrome... (didn't happen)... Another guy sent us his Xs1 side cover.... we restored it many years ago... seems he removed it.... put it back on....went for a ride.. returned home.. no side cover Eeeeck ! ... traced his route.... found it... crushed... we couldn't find a Xs1 cover... a 73' fits but the center holes for the emblem are different.... (welded and re-drilled) It was posted back to the owner yesterday.... Once the 75' was off the lift a 72' Xs2 was brought in. We restored it several years ago and had been on loan to a museum... and had to be removed (Anamosa ?, recently closed regional museum?) .... Seems the museum just put the bike on the show room floor... didn't prepare the bike... Owner claimed the bike... it won't start. Battery dead.. I opened the tank and now the shop reeks... seriously reeks.. I turned the throttle... no movement.... the petcocks don't move and where on reserve.... there was fuel in the tank...less then a gallon.... drained it... " green gas ! "... we had treated and sealed the tank prior, and this helped prevent more damages... both petcocks and fuel cap are rusty.... Next week.. I pull the carbs.... :) Did I mention the shop reeks...

Attachments

• Mark Xs Xs2.jpg
    Mark Xs Xs2.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 84
  • Mark Xs p cock.jpg
    Mark Xs p cock.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Mark Xs scope 1.jpg
    Mark Xs scope 1.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Mark Xs cover.jpg
    Mark Xs cover.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Mark Xs cap.jpg
    Mark Xs cap.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 82
To bad about the XS2. Owner should have prepped the bike before leaving it at Anamosa.

.. Updates.... customer wants his 75' muff's chromed... we welded and repaired.... and explained... rust and rot could return.. either in another location on the muffler... rough est with headers.... .. $1000.oo the carbs on the 72'.... slides stuck..... choke lever stuck...... opened them up... recked ... ! we scale test the floats and do the slosh ( rattle ) test... to verify our inspection with do the " stomp test " for leakage... one failed. Took about an hour for slides and lever to loosen up in a solution Mark mixed up.... ... then we have a gallon of that old carb cleaner with the small screen and handle... now banded as toxic .... that's ok I'm done have'n kids. Then we toss carb bits in an Ultrasound.... next Mark will turn attention to the fuel tank.... will try and avoid a compete re-paint.... Meanwhile I'm work'n on my 82' ... strip to frame.... powder coat... etc etc. the exhaust is kick'n my kister... 😎

Attachments

• Shop Xs 82'.jpg
    Shop Xs 82'.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 55
  • Shop 1.jpg
    Shop 1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Shop carb scale.jpg
    Shop carb scale.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Shoo float fail.jpg
    Shoo float fail.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Shop float 1.jpg
    Shop float 1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Shop Muff chrome.jpg
    Shop Muff chrome.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 72
Update... chrome shop called.... they want another $200.oo if it was me I'd tell to pack sand where the sun doesn't shine.... My 82' exhaust looks good.. some pitting on the headers... I hope a can of elbow grease and Col. Brassy followed with chrome polish will do the trick... other wise headers and mufflers from Mike's.... The exhaust won't break loose... once I get the motor out of the frame... them lift frame and break out the " gas wrench "..work exhaust apart... 😎

I had that happen with a shop. Quoted 800 (verbal) picked it up and it was 1200. Take its or leave it, parts stay here, was there answer. Always have it written up now. Chroming has gotten way out of hand on prices.

Last edited:
Chrome plating prices are ridiculous. Three years ago it cost me @250 to get the rocker nuts, oil pipe and points covers rechromed. They didn't even do a good job.

Is it because 82' Xs engines are about 50 pounds heavier than other Xs engines... ? or is it because I've been collecting social security for ten years..? I rounded up a fellow garage buddy... he's also in my age bracket ..... and we hump'd the engine out.... afterwards he said ..... " This is why I do little two stroke Yamaha's.."... frame and other bits almost ready for powder coat..... when I pulled the front wheel.... Dang ! ! ... wonder how long that's been there... holds air... doesn't leak..... I did a compression test on the engine.... Great compression !.. for a M20.... ;)

Attachments

• Project Xs frame strip.jpg
    Project Xs frame strip.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Project Xs tire.jpg
    Project Xs tire.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 31
Ooooh I just checked a gasket kit from Mike's... it's been a while since I needed a set and they seem to be rather pricy.... I could hit ebay... any suggestions ? I'll need a seal kit and the copper head washers... thanks 😎

Visited the car wash.... I soaked the engine repeatedly for a few days prior with Simple Green.... then at the car wash... more Green stuff and gasoline... brushes.... a .22 caliper brush for the fins... I'd say it removed 90% of the goo.... Tomorrow haul it to the shop.... clean more... clean again.... pull top end... determine what is needed... 2nd overbore... just rings.... ? gasket kit... seal kit... head washers...all ordered... The top end bits... cylinders, head and rocker cover gets a visit to the vapor blaster... once cleaned... They'll get painted with high temp black paint... Has anyone used the stuff off the shelf at the auto parts store ? Good luck..or something else... ? The frame and other related frame bits at powder coat.... I'd like to get the engine done.... painted and ready to install asap. It's easier to drop frame on engine then hump engine in a frame.... 😎

Attachments

• Project Xs Truckwash.jpg
    Project Xs Truckwash.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Project Xs power wash.jpg
    Project Xs power wash.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 36
Visited the car wash.... I soaked the engine repeatedly for a few days prior with Simple Green.... then at the car wash... more Green stuff and gasoline... brushes.... a .22 caliper brush for the fins... I'd say it removed 90% of the goo.... Tomorrow haul it to the shop.... clean more... clean again.... pull top end... determine what is needed... 2nd overbore... just rings.... ? gasket kit... seal kit... head washers...all ordered... The top end bits... cylinders, head and rocker cover gets a visit to the vapor blaster... once cleaned... They'll get painted with high temp black paint... Has anyone used the stuff off the shelf at the auto parts store ? Good luck..or something else... ? The frame and other related frame bits at powder coat.... I'd like to get the engine done.... painted and ready to install asap. It's easier to drop frame on engine then hump engine in a frame.... 😎
I used VHT silver header paint when I put a crate 350 in my 62 Chevy C-10 a few years ago. I used their VHT primer first and let it cure really well, then the VHT silver.

I did some heat cycle bake-ins after the initial flat tappet break in of 2000 RPM for 20 minutes.

They're stock cast iron manifolds and its held up great. Still look like the day I painted them. I'll tell you, I've been impressed by the stuff...certainly has come a long way from back in the day.

Not sure how their paint would do on cylinders, but when the time comes VHT will be the one I use.

Last edited:
The engine paint needs heat to cure properly. I painted my engine a while back, hard as nails still. Not so the carbs. The carbs don't get hot so the engine paint didn't cure and it all peeled off. So, I repainted the carbs again and cooked them in the,over for an hour at 200c. It worked, paint has not peeled off again.

The engine paint needs heat to cure properly. I painted my engine a while back, hard as nails still. Not so the carbs. The carbs don't get hot so the engine paint didn't cure and it all peeled off. So, I repainted the carbs again and cooked them in the,over for an hour at 200c. It worked, paint has not peeled off again.
VHT brand?

Nope Duplicolour. But they are all the same, they need heat to cure properly. Once heated they will resist practically anything. Without, they will not resist petrol or scratching.
Just tell the wife you you found a great recipe an injun cake you want to try. When you're finished tell her it didn't work out too well, so the,oven might smell a bit..

Last edited:
Pulled engine top end off.... Rockers in good nick.... I place the head up right...pour in mineral spirits.... I've had heads were the fluids ran out between the seats and the valve as fast as I poured it in.... I fill the port and let it sit for 10 minutes.... no seepage... weep'n.... turn over and repeat.... no seeping. Cylinder looked great..... we honed them.... got a nice cross hatch... then broke out the micrometer ..... bore in great shape..... pistons...worn, within the limits... but I found a standard set of piston kit... ordered it. So far with seals, gaskets, various other bits and pieces... I'm around $700.oo into this .... and I still have paint..powder coat... tires... chrome.... and the " surprises " to pay for along the way. Tonight.... time at the vapor cabinet....
:)

Attachments

• Project Xs bore ck.jpg
    Project Xs bore ck.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Project Xs valve juice.jpg
    Project Xs valve juice.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Project Xs hone.jpg
    Project Xs hone.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Project Xs piston.jpg
    Project Xs piston.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Project Xs rockers.jpg
    Project Xs rockers.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 33
Nope Duplicolour. But they are all the same, they need heat to cure properly. Once heated they will resist practically anything. Without, they will not resist petrol or scratching.
Just tell the wife you you found a great recipe an injun cake you want to try. When you're finished tell her it didn't work out too well, so the,oven might smell a bit..
Had a buddy do that... he must have gotten the temps to high... both piston sleeves came out.... :rolleyes:

I use these gasket kits. They fit well, easy to get off when you next pull the motor apart and they are cheaper than the other sets and can be used over and over again.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 38
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 35
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 55
I use these gasket kits. They fit well, easy to get off when you next pull the motor apart and they are cheaper than the other sets and can be used over and over again.
My Dad always had a "Gasket Drawer" in the shop when I was a kid.

It was full of different thicknesses and types of materials, dimpling/cutting tools, etc...

This was all in support of his Triumph hillclimbers and Triumph brush bikes (dirt bikes).

I wont even go into the bins of magnetos and associated parts that were probably worth a fortune.

Things were different back then for sure.

Back