Exhaust

Downer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have this leak on the left side exhaust where the head pipe bolts on to the engine I've tried multiple sets of exhaust gaskets and even tried to use a flange gasket with them and it continues to leak does anybody have any ideas to stop this or can at least tell me why it would leak thanx in advance

I have this leak on the left side exhaust where the head pipe bolts on to the engine I've tried multiple sets of exhaust gaskets and even tried to use a flange gasket with them and it continues to leak does anybody have any ideas to stop this or can at least tell me why it would leak thanx in advance
Hi Downer, I bet you have an old gasket stuck in there, they can be very hard to see because soot can make them look like part of the head when they get flat. Take a flashlight and make sure there is no old gasket. They can be hard to get out :banghead:

What type of headpipes do you have? Some aftermarket ones have a very narrow sealing lip or flange and just don't want to seal up properly. My MACs were like that.

I did get the old gaskets out tried the copper ones they are pretty loose in the head and on the pipe itself then I got some other ones that looked pretty close to the originals but a no go the pipes are stock headers so I'm still stumped I heard the po had the same problem that's why it had flange gaskets too so I tried the flange gaskets with the exhaust gaskets and it still pumps out pretty good

I've never heard of copper ones. Use the original type, MikesXS sells them, Part #18-0675. I've never heard of flange gaskets either. The flange doesn't fit tight to the head (or shouldn't anyway unless the gasket is flattened out) so I don't see what good a flange gasket would do. If the headpipes are from a Special and had the mufflers sawed off, then an aftermarket muffler clamped on, exhaust gases can run up between the inner and outer pipe then out the vent hole by the head. It will appear to be a flange leak.

The flange dosent fit right to the head it pushes on the little step up on the exhaust so I tried a gasket between the two that I snipped a bit kind if like a ring on a piston but maybe I'll just have to try mikes next i both other sets off e bay also Im pretty sure the pipes aren't double walled I got them from redwingfan but it's not the pipes for sure cause my old pipes on it did the same thing

i have the same issue . i took out the old gasket . and cleaned up both mating surfaces and in went a new gasket . smoke is coming out of what looks to be the joint. i never thought of the gap between the inner and outer pipe. could be. .. how would you tell and how would you fix that.
cheers!

Hi Downer, I bet you have an old gasket stuck in there, they can be very hard to see because soot can make them look like part of the head when they get flat. Take a flashlight and make sure there is no old gasket. They can be hard to get out :banghead:

Thats just what I was going to type. Ive been there.

I pulled one gasket out of each side, put new gaskets in and started putting the pipes back on when I noticed one side was fitting as well.

Look down inside revealed that side apparently had 2s gasket in it. Not sure why, the way these bikes change hands who knows. At any rate, it sealed up perfect with new gaskets so Im guessing it was an accident the old gasket got left in there.

If you have special pipes/mufflers and cut the mufflers of and just clamped a new muffler to the outer head pipe exhaust will flow up between the inner and outer pipe and come out the vent holes by the clamp that holds the pipe into the head.
To prevent this you need to go to an auto parts store and get and adapter One end fits into the muffler and the other end fit snuggly over the inner pipe. Drive the adapter firmly over the inner pipe. Slip the muffler on the end of the adapter. Clamp the muffler firmly on the adapter. Now all the exhaust goes out the muffler and none flows in between the two head pipes.
Leo

Back