Extended for tubes and internals swap

Yes the neck got longer in 74 all 74 up frames will accept any complete 74 up fork.
The tubes on the eBay set are horribly rusted why he's hiding them. I'd pass, no way to know if the dampers are still inside.
Also no top triple which you will need.

Last edited:
Yes the neck got longer in 74 all 74 up frames will accept any complete 74 up fork.
The tubes on the eBay set are horribly rusted why he's hiding them. I'd pass, no way to know if the dampers are still inside.
Also no top triple which you will need.
He has new tubes, he only needs lower legs, damper rods, and yokes.

He has new tubes, he only needs lower legs, damper rods, and yokes.
Kind of a pig in a poke is all I'm say'n, what else is hidden?
I'd be looking beating the bushes, begging for a complete fork set locally.
77 forks have different internals than the rest of the 35s the ever useful 5twins details it in here somewhere.

Last edited:
Beefing the forks up from 34 to 35mm is a good thing, especially when extending them 4"....imho.
Those on eBay you linked to appear to be standard model forks, '77 through '79..... chrome trim below the lower triple says so, and trying to find just those trim pieces is akin to trying to find the lower side covers to the Heritage Specials....
Free shipping on that item places the actual price to around 70 bucks? 70 bucks for two lowers, most of a triple and unknown guts. Tough call.
I may have a 35mm triple top out in the pole barn.

So it sounds like those forks on ebay may be what I need. Thanks nj; I may hit you up for the triples. Tooks some measurements on the first I have; first here are the 35mm extended tubes...numbers check out:

upload_2021-12-2_13-11-32.png

Here are the forks that were in the bike when I got it:

upload_2021-12-2_13-13-9.png

These look to be 36mm no? So not xs650?

36mm forks came on Yamaha models too, thinking the triple cylinder xs750 as an example.
For laughs, measure the neck length on your frame and post the result. '70 through '73 had a shorter neck length that may, I emphasize ''may' be a direct swap for the later xs750 triple and forks.
Mebbe Gary knows the different lengths off the top of his head......
"IF" you have a '73 frame listed as a '74, those forks on eBay won't help. Get that neck length for verification.

'77 through '79..... chrome trim below the lower triple says so, and trying to find just those trim pieces is akin to trying to find the lower side covers to the Heritage Specials....
They were also used on the 80 XS650G Special II model as well.
chromecover.PNG
IMG_1645.JPG

I measured the neck on a stripped down '81 frame, 7 7/16" give or take a mm or two. Not the spindle, just the outside overall neck.
So, to Lumbee....if your frame neck measures out the same +/- a mm or two those forks and triple should work for you.

Back